The Washington Post revealed this weekend that the White House has a current offer “still on the table” to make billions of dollars of cuts in Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Democratic Leaders in Congress, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi, grudgingly agreed to the deal, according to the Post.
Tell Obama, Reid, and Pelosi: hands off Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.
Obama should veto any budget that does not increase taxes on the wealthy. But missing from the entire budget discussion is the existence of absurdly bloated military spending.
Military spending takes over half of discretionary spending and is protected by the silence of both parties and the media. Military spending hurts the economy, rather than boosting it. Military spending makes us less safe, destroys the environment, erodes civil liberties, concentrates presidential power, blocks progressive initiatives, and kills large numbers of people.
And polls show the majority of Americans want military spending cut.
Please forward this email widely to like-minded friends.
David, Aimee, Sarah,
and the Roots Action Team
P.S. Our small staff is supported by contributions from people like you;your donations are greatly appreciated.
- Obama Offers to Cut Social Security, Medicare by RootsAction (socialactions.net)
- Obama’s Budget, Explained in a Chart (businessweek.com)
- House GOP Budget Won’t Include Military Spending Cuts (thinkprogress.org)
- Understanding America’s Biggest Problem in Just Two Minutes (chrislittleton.com)
- Tell Congress They Must Cut Military Spending by War Resisters League (socialactions.net)
- White House Tells GOP To Offset Military Spending Cuts With Taxes On The Rich (thinkprogress.org)
- How America Pays Taxes vs Other Wealthy Countries (turbotax.intuit.com)
- Panetta Acknowledges That Military Spending Impacts The Federal Deficit (thinkprogress.org)
- Why Republicans Need Remedial Math: Their Budget Plans Explode the Deficit (fabiusmaximus.wordpress.com)