At a time when the media is saturated with the coverage of the tragic murder of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida, take a moment to view this snapshot of the campaign for President. It is curious that former Governor Jeb Bush who signed the bill that Trayvon’s killer is using as an excuse, is silent. He did find the time to speak out endorsing Mitt Romney for President. As usual, the NRA, which was present as Bush signed the law, is silent on its culpability in murders with a gun in the nation. The National Rifle Assn. is confident that their lobby has the Congress in check and they will always get their way!
Last night a crowd of about 30,000 people gathered to protest the lack of an arrest of George Zimmerman in the case of the killing of teenager, Trayvon Martin. A huge protest was mounted to protest. At the last-minute the wheels of the law in Florida finally turned… a little. The police chief who had not arrested the child’s shooter when most
people saw probable cause for premeditated murder, stepped down from his office (temporarily) and Governor Rick Scott appointed a special prosecutor after the US Justice Dept. had entered the case scheduling a grand jury for April 10. So, once again we see the effectiveness of mass protest and grassroot protest. The Tea Party may still be in our Congress, but, if we take part in mass demonstrations against our do-nothing Congress who oppose President Obama, not for cause, but to wage a war against him for the power of The Whitehouse, we can win! Whenever there is a chance to lend our bodies to protests in our cities and nearby towns, go, participate eagerly. Although we can’t measure the direct effectiveness letters and emails are to Congress, thousands of written protests can not be ignored. Once again, write to you representatives and tell them what you think. I have three men who represent me in Congress They are prominent Republicans. Although they do not agree to vote the way I ask, two of them do acknowledge receipt of my correspondence and follow-up with a written response. This lone Democrat gets a 66% response from these die-hard Republicans. I implore you to do the same: WRITE! In the absence of our voice, our representatives will only have their personal opinions (and those of lobbyists) to guide their vote on issues which affect all of us. Blocking a dam begins with one sandbag. Be the one who adds many sandbags to stem the tide of adverse politics..
Three white Mississippi men pleaded guilty to federal hate crimes in connection with the 2011 beating death of an African-American man in Jackson, the Justice Department announced.
Deryl Dedmon, John Aaron Rice and Dylan Butler each admitted to conspiracy and violating a federal hate-crimes law in last June’s killing of James Craig Anderson. They face sentences of up to life in prison and $250,000 in fines, prosecutors said.
The 19-year-old Dedmon had already pleaded guilty to state murder and hate-crime charges Wednesday in a state court and was sentenced to life in prison.
The men are among the first defendants to be prosecuted under the federal hate-crime statute that President Barack Obama signed in 2009 and the first to be prosecuted in a fatal attack, Assistant Attorney General Thomas Perez said.
- Tallahassee students demand justice for Trayvon Martin (redantliberationarmy.wordpress.com)
- Million Hoodie March Trayvon Martin Protest in New York City (binsidetv.net)
- Tuesday Reads: Romney Gets Women’s Health Questions in IL, Santorum Talks Brokered Convention, Manning and Tebow, and the Trayvon Martin Murder (skydancingblog.com)
- Trayvon Martin Case: Police Chief Steps Down as Protests Grow Louder (newsfeed.time.com)
- Trayvon Martin and the presidential election (brobrubel.wordpress.com)
- Sharpton Leads Trayvon Rally (newser.com)
- Trayvon Martin Case Subject of Impassioned Speech on House Floor (inquisitr.com)
- Trayvon Martin Killing Fallout: Florida Governor Appoints New Prosecutor and Two Sanford Officials Facing Recall (UPDATED) (themoderatevoice.com)
- Trayvon Martin Protesters Arrive In Busloads To Sanford Florida (theroycroftreport.com)