By Matt Gertz
The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) may have eliminated the task force responsible for doing the National Rifle Association‘s bidding, but that hasn’t stopped the coordination between the right-wing groups. In the latest example of their friendly cooperation, the NRA plans to hold a trap shoot in conjunction with ALEC’s annual meeting later this month.
In a missive to state legislators published by the Center on Media and Democracy, which researches ALEC, NRA director of state and local affairs Charles H. Cunningham invites state legislators to attend the “annual shoot,” promising that it “will prove to be just as fun as in years past.” According to CMD: ”For the past several years, on the Saturday of ALEC’s annual meeting, the NRA has regularly hosted an outing for ALEC legislators and lobbyists to go shooting together — with complimentary guns and ammo plus plenty of food and drink (this time it is a barbeque).”
In April, as corporate sponsors fled their organization in the face of pressure from liberal activists angry with the group’s support of “Kill at Will” self-defense laws and voter ID bills, ALEC announced that they were disbanding their Elections and Public Safety Task Force, which worked on those issues. At the time, that task force’s chair told Media Matters that such issues were no longer a priority for ALEC.
NOTICE HOW QUIET THE NRA IS
IN MASS GUN DEATHS
- Suck on this ALEC. Your day is passing. (maureenholland.wordpress.com)
- ALEC is an Enemy of Liberty (c4ss.org)
- ALEC retreats from push for gun rights in wake of corporate defections (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- ALEC Leads the Legal War Against Consumers (blogs.lawyers.com)
- Progress Florida pressures Fla. lawmakers with ALEC ties (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- NRA encounters resistance from some Republicans (rep-am.com)