There are several versions of the text of the Second Amendment, each with slight capitalization and punctuation differences, found in the official documents surrounding the adoption of the Bill of Rights. One version was passed by the Congress, while another is found in the copies distributed to the States and then ratified by them.
As passed by the Congress:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
GUNS DON’T KILL PEOPLE…people kill people
- Bob Cesca: Republicans Have Made It Harder to Vote, Easier to Buy Guns (huffingtonpost.com)
- Scholars Debate Second Amendment to US Constitution (hawaiireporter.com)
- White House Signals Obama Won’t Push for More Gun Control (abcnews.go.com)
- Talking the Second Amendment (boomantribune.com)
- Right to kill: US is paying for its liberal gun law – Daily News & Analysis (dnaindia.com)
- U.N. treaty on global arms trade sparks criticism (thehindu.com)