Over the Cliff?
The TV airways are full of Republicans who are calling the President’s plan they received, “not serious.” Many call on Democrats to “be adult”. [Are they calling the Leader of the Free World, "Boy," like they called black men in the old South?] Newt Gingrich‘s victories in the GOP Primary in South Carolina and Florida show us that racism still exists in 21st Century America. We just won the election in spite of their ubiquitous efforts at voter suppression. It is time to tip the silver cup and drink the bitter draft of defeat. Elections have consequences!
The ball is in the Republicans’ court. President Obama got a majority of Americans to agree that taxes should go up on the top 2% of taxpayers. Republican leaders in Congress, Boehner, McConnell and Cantor, have not accepted the election which gave Barack Obama a mandate to carry out his agenda so long-delayed by the partisan and racist war they waged on him in the first term.
At this moment the President has more political capital than ever. He must take political advantage like the Tea Party did in 2010 when they won in the mid-term election. Democrats have power now even though Republicans control the House. It is time to put to an end all jokes about Democratic spines! When they had the advantage, Boehner, McConnell and Cantor were willing to shut our government down if the President would not yield to their political blackmail. This time the standoff is about “going over the fiscal cliff.” Republicans now talk of their being impotent and unable to properly respond to the Presidents overtures. Barack Obama wants John Boehner, Mitch McConnell and Eric Cantor to tell the administration the fiscal limits to which they will agree: Just what they want to cut. ”No,” they say. “You go first.” Yes, another game of chicken. And, Democrats may very well press Republicans up to the deadline. If we go over the “Fiscal Cliff,” Congress can undo some of the damage in January, but, some of us will be hurt in ways that cannot be undone. Whatever happens, it is time for Democrats to show the American people just what kind of balls we have, how strong our spines are. I know that we, Democrats, are reluctant to play this role because of the goodness of the mission of the Democratic Party. However, we must steel ourselves with the realization that we have God on our side and, therefore, we cannot fail!
- Boehner: ‘Clearly a Chance’ Nation Will Go Over Fiscal Cliff (cornhusker4palin.newsvine.com)
- Speaker John Boehner “Flabbergasted” at President Obama’s Fiscal Plan, Says “We’re Nowhere” (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Boehner ‘flabbergasted’ by Treasury secretary’s plan to avoid fiscal cliff (guardian.co.uk)
- Speaker Boehner Says White House Fiscal Cliff Offer is “Nonsense,” Calls for Spending Cuts & Tax Reform (speaker.gov)
- Fiscal Cliff Negotiations With Obama Are ‘Nowhere,’ Boehner Says – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Boehner Refuses To Specify A GOP Alternative To Avert Fiscal Cliff (thinkprogress.org)
- Boehner Urges Obama to ‘Get Serious’ About Cliff Talks – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Geithner Joins Boehner to Trade Blame on Fiscal Cliff Talks (bloomberg.com)