By LEE FERRAN and SHUSHANNAH WALSHE
Law enforcement officials said that Adam Lanza was armed with four firearms when he started his rampage at a Connecticut elementary school Friday that ended in the deaths of 20 children and seven adults, but nearly all the killing was done with just one of the guns: a .223 caliber Bushmaster semiautomatic rifle.
Lanza used the rifle, a modified civilian version of the military’s M-16 similar to the popular AR-15, as he stalked through the school and opened fire on children as young as five. Dr. H. Wayne Carver, the medical examiner who investigated the massacre, told reporters over the weekend that all of Lanza’s victims had been shot more than once.
The killing ended when Lanza took his own life, this time using a handgun, officials said.
- UPDATE: CT State Medical Examiner Says Bushmaster Rifle Did The Killing (crooksandliars.com)
- Fritchey uses Sandy Hook tragedy to spur attack on Bushmasters (illinoisreview.typepad.com)
- This Is a .223-Caliber Rifle (theatlantic.com)
- Rifle in Conn. massacre similar to DC sniper (wtvm.com)
- ‘Unspeakable sadness’ as Obama meets with shooting victims’ kin (myfox8.com)
- This Is A Bushmaster .223, One Of The Guns The Sandy Hook Shooter Reportedly Had (businessinsider.com)
- How Do We Know an ‘Assault Weapon’ Ban Would Not Have Stopped Adam Lanza? Because It Didn’t. (reason.com)
- Connecticut school massacre: .223 caliber shell casings discovered INSIDE school building (sott.net)
- Obama: U.S. did not do enough to protect its children (gantdaily.com)