Got that awards-show hangover? Can’t remember who won the People’s Choice, Critics’ Choice, or Golden Globes, and it’s still two weeks until the Oscars? Here’s your splash-in-the-face cure: The Grammys.
Even before the bizarre “no side boob” memo from CBS, the Grammys were the one bright pre-Oscar light in the endless wintery deluge of awards shows. Sick of Anne Hathaway and Ben Affleck speeches and that same montage of scenes from “Lincoln”? We can promise you none of that will drift over into the Grammys. Instead, expect wild clothing choices (don’t think that memo’s going to hold anyone back), lively performances and almost inevitably, some off-screen or red-carpet or other event that overshadows the actual handing out of the awards.
Recent years have seen two disturbing events take place right before the awards and affect the show. In 2009, singer Rihanna canceled a planned Grammy appearance after her boyfriend, singer Chris Brown, beat her up during an argument in a car the night before the awards. And just last year, legendary singer Whitney Houston died in her bathtub at the Beverly Hilton Hotel the night before the Grammys, which hastily put together a tribute to the Grammy- and Emmy-winner.
- “The Boss” honoured at pre-Grammys award ceremony (telegraph.co.uk)
- One year later‚ Grammys recall scramble over Whitney Houston death (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Grammys a welcome change from stiff film awards shows (todayentertainment.today.com)
- Kelly Clarkson’s Grammy Night Cancer Scare (kymx.cbslocal.com)
- Fashionable Ladies @ 2013 Grammy Awards mPowering Action (moejackson.com)
- Navajo artist representing Arizona at the Grammy Awards ()
- Rihanna Wants To Perform ‘Nobody’s Business’ With Chris Brown At Grammys (hollywoodlife.com)
- A GIF Guide to the 2013 Grammy Awards (mashable.com)
- And The Grammy Goes To… (oondrea.wordpress.com)
- Beyonce & Jay-Z: Grammys 2013 Seatmates Revealed! (justjared.com)