By Abby D. Phillip
“He’s a traitor,” the highest ranking Republican in the House of Representatives said in an extensive interview with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos. “The disclosure of this information puts Americans at risk. It shows our adversaries what our capabilities are. And it’s a giant violation of the law.”
Boehner endorsed President Obama’s characterization of two programs, which allow the NSA to gather information about phone calls made in the U.S. as well as information on foreign suspects collected from major internet companies, as critical to the government’s ability to fight terrorism. He said that there are “clear safeguards” built into the programs to protect Americans.
“The president outlined last week that these were important national security programs to help keep Americans safe, and give us tools to fight the terrorist threat that we face,” Boehner said. “The president also outlined that there are appropriate safeguards in place to make sure that there’s no snooping, if you will, on Americans here at home.”
Snowden, a 29-year-old contractor with the National Security Agency, admitted that he was the source of several leaks of top secret NSA documents to the British paper, The Guardian, and the Washington Post.
- Boehner: Snowden’s a traitor (rare.us)
- ‘Traitor': John Boehner Sides With Obama and Makes It Clear What He Thinks About NSA Whistleblower (theblaze.com)
- Boehner: NSA leaker a ‘traitor’ (wnd.com)
- Boehner, Feinstein: Snowden’s a traitor (hotair.com)
- Congress wants Snowden’s Head – Not the NSA! (armstrongeconomics.com)
- House Speaker John Boehner Calls NSA Snitch A “Traitor” Over Government Spying Leak (hiphopwired.com)
- Boehner Brands Edward Snowden ‘A Traitor’ (endtimebibleprophecy.wordpress.com)
- Speaker Boehner Defends Obama on NSA Phone Tracking; Calls Leaker ‘Traitor’ (jpupdates.com)
- John Bolton and John Boehner call NSA ‘whistleblower’ Edward Snowden a ‘traitor’ (theglobaldispatch.com)