IF YOU DON’T LIKE THE GOVERNMENT YOU HAVE:
DC IS DEAF – SHOUT!
By SUZANNE GAMBOA Associated Press
“Just as they were announcing plans for the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, black and civil rights leaders learned the Supreme Court had kicked back to a lower court a case challenging the use of race in college admissions.
That and other key cases before the Supreme Court connected to race and civil rights, the leaders said Monday, is why the five days of events marking the historic march this August will not simply be a commemoration.
“It is the intent of those that come together to make it clear that this is not just a nostalgia visit, that this is not a commemoration but a continuation and a call to action,” said the Rev. Al Sharpton, who head the National Action Network. “We are in a climate that is threatening too much of what was achieved 50 years ago.”
“I Don’t Feel No-Ways Tired”
- Events planned to mark March on Washington (heraldonline.com)
- Open Letter to the Hip-Hop Community: What do you think of the #NewRules to Voting Rights? (allhiphop.com)
- Sharpton: MLK’s dream ‘canceled’ (politico.com)
- Civil rights leaders dealt ‘a devastating blow’ (tv.msnbc.com)
- Supreme Court guts Voting Rights Act (video.msnbc.msn.com)
- Photos: Gay rights history (photos.mercurynews.com)
- Finishing The March: African-Americans & the Jobs Deficit (bilerico.com)
- Bayard Rustin: Little Known Black History Fact (blackamericaweb.com)
- Protesters in Open Carry March on Washington to be armed; encouraged not to be dangerous (q13fox.com)