By Maria Elena Fernandez, TODAY
Michael Jackson’s 16-year-old son’s bloodshot eyes welled up with tears Wednesday when he told a Los Angeles jury that when his father died in a hospital emergency room four years ago, the singer’s personal physician
simply turned to Jackson’s three children and said, “Sorry, kids, Dad’s dead.”
Michael Joseph Jackson Jr., known as Prince, was the first member of the Jackson family to take the stand in the Los Angeles Superior Court wrongful death and negligence suitthat his grandmother filed against concert promoter AEG Live. At the time of his death, Jackson, 50, was in the middle of rehearsals for his “This is It” comeback tour in London. The lawsuit alleges that AEG was responsible for hiring Dr. Conrad Murray, who was convicted in 2011 of involuntary manslaughter in Jackson’s death, as Jackson’s doctor.
Jackson’s eldest son remained composed as he spoke of the special relationship he and his siblings had with their father and described in detail the confusing days before the King of Pop died, and the impact of his death on the lives of his children.
“It will never be the same,” said the teen who lives with his grandmother, a cousin, and siblings in Calabasas, Calif. He talked about how challenging life has been for his 15-year-old sister, Paris, who is recovering in a Los Angeles hospital after a suicide attempt on June 5. He said his 11-year-old brother, Prince Michael Jackson, known as Blanket, “is so young he doesn’t realize what he lost” and that he and Paris no longer celebrate their birthdays.
“She was hit the hardest,” he said. “She was my dad’s princess. She is definitely dealing with it in her own way.”
- Michael Jackson’s Son Recalls Father’s Tears Over Concert Pressure (contactmusic.com)
- Jackson’s teenage son describes upbringing, death (miamiherald.com)
- Michael Jackson’s Son Recalls Father’s Tears, Fatigue and Death (ktla.com)
- Michael Jackson feared London gig rehearsal would kill him, son Prince tells court (mirror.co.uk)
- Son relives MJ’s last days – iAfrica.com (entertainment.iafrica.com)
- Jackson’s teenage son describes upbringing, death (metronews.ca)
- Michael Jackson said tour would ‘kill’ him, son testifies – NDTV (movies.ndtv.com)