Retired Marine Gen. James “Hoss” Cartwright was the second-highest ranking member of the U.S. military, and a key Obama adviser who served as the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Legal sources tell NBC News Cartwright has been notified he’s the target of a Justice Department criminal investigation into a leak about a covert U.S. cyberattack on Iran’s nuclear program. NBC’s Michael Isikoff reports.
By Michael Isikoff
National Investigative Correspondent, NBC News
Legal sources tell NBC News that the former second ranking officer in the U.S. military is now the target of a Justice Department investigation into a politically sensitive leak of classified information about a covert U.S. cyber attack on Iran’s nuclear program.
According to legal sources, Retired Marine Gen. James “Hoss” Cartwright, the former vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has received a target letter informing him that he’s under investigation for allegedly leaking information about a massive attack using a computer virus named Stuxnet on Iran’s nuclear facilities. Gen. Cartwright, 63, becomes the latest individual targeted over alleged leaks by the Obama administration, which has already prosecuted or charged eight individuals under the Espionage Act.
Last year, the New York Times reported that Cartwright, a four-star general who was vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs from 2007 to 2011, conceived and ran the cyber operation, called Olympic Games, under Presidents Bush and Obama. According to the front-page story by chief Washington correspondent David Sanger, President Obama ordered the cyber attacks sped up, and in 2010 an attack using the Stuxnet worm temporarily disabled 1,000 centrifuges that the Iranians were using to enrich uranium.
The Times story included details of the Olympic Games operation, including the cooperation of Israeli intelligence and the way the virus was introduced to an Iranian nuclear facility. It described meetings in the White House Situation Room and was based on interviews with “current and former American, European and Israeli officials involved in the program.”
- HOT Ex-Pentagon General Target of Leak Investigation (economicpolicyjournal.com)
- Report: Former high-ranking officer in US military investigated for leak about US cyber-attack on Iran – @NBCNEWS (investigations.nbcnews.com)
- WAR ON LEAKERS; Ex Four Star General Under Criminal Investigation For Stuxnet LEAK To Media, Another Obama Espionage & Media Scandal!! (deadlinelive.info)
- Did A Former Vice Chairman Of The U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Leak Vital Intelligence? (warnewsupdates.blogspot.com)
- Retired General James Cartwright under investigation for leaking information on cyber operation (al.com)
- Was Retired General James Cartwright the leaker for Stuxnet ? Well , time will tell but the Department of Justice is investigating General Cartwright , who has received a Target letter ! (fredw-catharsisours.blogspot.com)
- Stuxnet leak “very damaging.” (myshieldmyrefuge.wordpress.com)
- Open Thread: Stux in the Net (balloon-juice.com)
- Reports: Retired general target of leaks probe (news.yahoo.com)
- Reports: Retired general target of leaks probe (hosted.ap.org)