By Hannah Rappleye and Tom Winter
A national sporting goods company that suspended sales of assault rifles after the Newtown, Connecticut shooting that cost 26 lives is now selling the type of gun the shooter used via a new and separate chain of specialty stores.
Dicks’ Sporting Goods issued a statement after the Dec. 14, 2012 shooting, in which Adam Lanza killed 20 students and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School with a Bushmaster assault rifle, that it would suspend the sales of assault rifles.
“We are extremely saddened by the unspeakable tragedy that occurred last week,” said the statement, “and our hearts go out to victims and their families and to the entire community. Out of respect for the victims and their families, during this time of national mourning we have removed all guns from sale and from display in our store nearest to Newtown and suspended the sale of modern sporting rifles in all of our stores chainwide.”
Gun control activists praised the chain’s decision at the time. But now Dick’s has opened the first store in a new chain called Field & Stream that specializes in hunting and fishing products, and a call to the store in Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania reveals that Bushmaster AR-15 assault rifles are for sale.
“We have a full stock,” said a clerk who identified himself as Gary. He said the guns retailed for $800, and that the gun counter was “really busy.”
- Officials: Ga. school suspect fired assault rifle (vindy.com)
- Dick’s Sporting Goods selling assault rifles again via new store chain (investigations.nbcnews.com)
- Meet The Creepy Texas Preacher Wandering Around Walmart With An Assault Rifle (thinkprogress.org)
- Creepy Christian Preacher Wanders Around Texas Town Armed With Assault Rifle to Protest Strictness of Texas Gun Laws (alternet.org)
- Texas pastor openly carries loaded Bushmaster into local businesses to protest state gun law (rawstory.com)
- Dick’s Sporting Goods busted selling AR-15 style rifles under new name (bizpacreview.com)
- Request for gun permits could double in Newtown, Connecticut (nydailynews.com)
- New York reports biggest ever haul of illegal guns (telegraph.co.uk)
- Chris Christie vetoes weapons ban out of concern for ‘law-abiding’ assault rifle owners (rawstory.com)
- Official: Ga. school suspect had assault rifle (columbian.com)