By Frank Smyth
A man with an assault rifle at an exhibit booth at the George R. Brown convention center, the site for the National Rifle Association’s annual meeting in Houston, Texas May 5, 2013. (Photo by Adrees Latif/Reuters)
This year’s gun lobby board election brought a few surprises, as the National Rifle Association has been trying to keep the results (and the low voter turnout) quiet.
George K. Kollitides II is the founder and CEO of Freedom Group, America’s largest and most profitable firearms consortium. One of the company’s products is the Bushmaster AR-15 semi-automatic rifle that was used last December in the Sandy Hook school massacre.
Last year Freedom Group led the gun industry with record sales of almost $1 billion, or $931.9 million. Kollitides also quietly served last year on the NRA’s shadowy Nominating Committee for the NRA’s 2012 board elections, as reported in January in Mother Jones. His place on the Nominating Committee likely helped get his name on the NRA’s official ballot this year.
Yet he still lost his bid for the NRA board, according to election results just published in the August edition of the NRA’s American Rifleman magazine, available only to NRA dues-paying members, a copy of which was obtained by MSNBC. Kollitides remains a Trustee of the NRA Foundation, according to its latest annual report. The foundation’s activities include organizing gun safety and target shooting competitions for children.
- Freedom Group CEO Kollitides Fails to Make NRA Board (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- How The NRA Built A Massive Secret Database Of Gun Owners (buzzfeed.com)
- How The NRA Built A Massive Secret Database Of Gun Owners (huffingtonpost.com)
- More Hypocracy with GOP based morons because remember how the NRA is SO against have a registry of gun owners, well; the NRA Built A Massive Secret Database Of Gun Owners (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Colorado recalls: NRA has real chance to pull it off (dailykos.com)
- MSNBC’s Reid: Opposition to Gun Control is ‘Neo-Confederate’ (nationalreview.com)
- African-Americans Are Dogs That Bite and Should be Shot: Why Won’t the NRA Denounce Ted Nugent? | Alternet (illuminate.newsvine.com)
- Horrigan: The joys of joining the NRA (denverpost.com)