Done deal: Obama signs debt bill into law
By Carrie Dann, Political Reporter, NBC News
After weeks of stalemate that shuttered the government for 16 days and brought the nation within hours of a key deadline to renew its borrowing authority, the standoff is finally over.
Obama said the measure would immediately restart federal programs that had been put on hold during the funding lapse.
“We will begin reopening our government immediately,” he said in remarks before the House passed the bill. “And we can begin to lift this cloud of uncertainty and unease from our businesses and the American people.”
The GOP-dominated House passed the measure 285-144, with 87 Republicans joining all Democrats in support. The Senate passed it 81-18. In both chambers, only Republicans voted against the measure.
- Obama signs budget bill to reopen government (huffingtonpost.com)
- Obama signs bill to avert default, open government (sfgate.com)
- Default Threat Over, President Signs Bill to Pay the Bills, Shutdown Is Over (tacdnews.com)
- Government shutdown over; House passes bill, raises debt ceiling (al.com)
- Obama signs bill to end US govt shutdown (channelnewsasia.com)
- BusinessInsider – IT’S OVER: OBAMA SIGNS BILL TO END SHUTDOWN AND RAISE DEBT CEILING – 17 October 2013 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)