NEW YORK TIMES
By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK 01-28-13
PORT SAID, Egypt — Large protests in the Suez Canal city of Port Said and fresh clashes in Cairo on Monday marked a fifth day of widening unrest in Egypt, a day after President Mohamed Morsi declared a state of emergency and a curfew in three major cities as escalating violence in the streets threatened his government and Egypt’s democracy.
In Port Said, where the police lost control over the weekend and where marchers on Monday said they no longer recognized Mr. Morsi’s authority, protesters chased away armored personnel carriers with rocks and shoes during a funeral procession for victims of the recent violence. Protesters also called for the entire city to ignore the 9 p.m. curfew. FULL ARTICLE
By NBC News staff and wire reports.
Updated at 7 p.m. ET: CAIRO — President Mohamed Morsi on Thursday invited political groups and legal figures to meet for a national dialogue on solutions to Egypt’s political crisis after clashes between his supporters and his foes left seven dead and hundreds wounded.
Morsi did not, however, rescind decrees granting him wide powers that his opponents had demanded, and his overtures on talks were immediately rejected by opposition leaders.
The main office of Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood was set ablaze late Thursday, the group’s political party said, and another office used by the party was torched in a suburb south of the city, the state news agency reported.
In a nationally televised address to the nation, Morsi said he would bring together a number of groups at a Saturday meeting at the presidential palace.
“Such painful events happened because of political differences that should be resolved through dialogue,” the Islamist president said after two days of violence during protests.
The discussions would center on a political roadmap after a referendum on a new constitution, Reuters reported. Morsi said they would discuss the fate of the upper house of parliament after the lower house was dissolved in June, the election law and other issues. He said plans for the referendum on December 15 were on track.
WE SHOULD PUT ALL AID TO EGYPT ON HOLD
They fought for democracy.
They voted for the Muslim Brotherhood
“The Egyptian president has returned to work in Cairo, although scores of protesters angered by his drive to push through a new constitution are still blocking one gate of the presidential palace.
Mohamed Morsi left the palace in the northern Cairo district of Heliopolis on Tuesday evening as tens of thousands of demonstrators surged around it, clashing briefly with police.
A presidential source said Morsi was back at work in the palace on Wednesday, even though up to 200 demonstrators had camped out near one entrance overnight.
Traffic was flowing normally in the area and riot police had been withdrawn, a witness said.
The rest of the Egyptian capital was calm, despite the political furore over Morsi’s November 22 decree handing himself wide powers and shielding his decisions from judicial oversight.
Egyptian police fired tear gas at opposition protesters demonstrating on Tuesday evening against Morsi’s drive to hold a snap referendum on the draft constitution.
Live television footage showed that some protesters broke through police lines and got too close to the presidential palace late on Tuesday night.
Al Jazeera’s Rawya Rageh, reporting from Cairo said: “We saw thousand of people surrounding the palace on all four corners, outnumbering the police and getting close to the presidential walls.”
12:05pm UK, Thursday 13 September 2012
Anger about an anti-Islam film spreads as thousands try to storm the US embassy in Yemen and skirmishes continue in Egypt.
Up to 5,000 protesters are trying to storm the US embassy in Yemen as anger about an anti-Muslim film spreads in the Middle East.
Hundreds got past two police barricades and managed to get through the main gate into the US compound in Sanaa. They were then driven back by security forces firing weapons into the air.
The latest TV pictures appear to show the gate being pulled down, and smoking rising from inside the complex.
Young demonstrators shouting “we redeem, Messenger of God” smashed windows of security offices outside the embassy and set fire to cars and tyres. Others held banners declaring “Allah is Greatest”.
In Egypt, protests have continued for a second day outside the US embassy in Cairo, provoked by an American-made anti-Islam film, being promoted on YouTube and said to insult the Prophet Mohammed.
Police were pelted with rocks and fired tear gas to disperse the crowd. FULL ARTICLE
Cairo (CNN) – The United States said it was taking measures to protect its citizens worldwide after protesters angry about an online film considered offensive to Islam attacked U.S. diplomatic compounds in Libya and Egypt on Tuesday, killing an American.
In Cairo, several men scaled the walls of the U.S. Embassy and tore down its American flag, according to CNN producer Mohamed Fadel Fahmy, who was on the scene.
In Libya, witnesses say members of a radical Islamist group called Ansar al-Sharia protested near the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, where NATO jets established no-fly zones last year to blunt ground attacks from then Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi.
The group then clashed with security forces in the city, blocking roads leading to the consulate, witnesses said.
A U.S. State Department officer was killed in the violence in Benghazi, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement late Tuesday.
“We are heartbroken by this terrible loss,” Clinton said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and those who have suffered in this attack.”
Clinton said that she condemned the attack on the U.S. facilities “in the strongest terms” and that following Tuesday’s events, the U.S. government was “working with partner countries around the world to protect our personnel, our missions and American citizens worldwide.” FULL ARTICLE