Living growing lives…
By John Townsend, Crystal Cathedral Guest Pastor
“For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, fix your minds on them.”
- Philippians 4:8
The growing mind deals with the reality that God meant for everybody to expand, to be better, to grow, to be the persons he wants to develop. You were built to grow. You were built to expand. Yet, some people never expand. They never grow.
The average lifespan of people in the world today is close to 70 and many live past 100. However, the number of years lived doesn’t necessarily indicate a growing life. It can actually indicate years of repetition of the same conflicts, the same stuck-ness, the same struggles, the same patterns.
That was never God’s intent for our lives. He wants us to live growing lives. And the growing life is just like regularly working out. Just like working out, if you don’t use your brain, you lose it. Just as you challenge your muscles in the gym, you have to challenge your brain. You have to push your brain to do things it now can’t do. Learning a new language is a way to do that. Or, taking a course, gaining some ability, or completing some training you’ve never had before. Or, you can play competitive mental game like chess.
We must get out of the patterns of the “same old, same old,” and challenge ourselves in a hobby, a course, something that pushes our brains, and our brains will respond to it. You can be doing this at 20, you can be doing this at 80, and it makes a difference in your growing brain.
Prayer: Dear Lord, help me not to take my mind for granted. Like my entire body, help me to keep it healthy and strong. Amen.
Devotion: Of the brain-strengthening suggestions mentioned above, which one would best apply to you?
- Marijuana legalization debate goes national (wyff4.com)
- Legalization raises issue of ‘pot tourism’ (thenewstribune.com)
- Highs and lows of using marijuana (newsnet5.com)
- Highs And Lows Of Using Marijuana (fox2now.com)
- Recreational Marijuana Legalization Passes In Colorado, Washington, Fails In Oregon (brandtstandard.com)
- Colorado, Washington pass marijuana legalization; Oregon says no (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Colorado Legalizes Recreational Marijuana and Industrial Hemp (activistpost.com)
Starved by the Bell
2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal. [The Bible]
All of us have sought worldly pleasures and goals. As Jesus’ Second Coming draws near, we must come to Jesus, ask for forgiveness for our sins and ask Him to be our Personal Saviour. Then God will regard us as His children! How great it is to have God, the Father… and Jesus Christ as our Brother!
Yesterday, clean-face Catholic, Paul Ryan, joined Mitt Romney‘s campaign of lies, ossification and making our election an exercise in the final struggle between “good versus evil.” Pray that when RNC Chairman Reince Priebus appears on “Meet the Press” today, God will warm his heart and have him denounce the Mitt Romney Campaign. God bless President Barack Obama with a win in November! God bless America!
For the devout, there never has been any question — prayer has the power to heal. Now, more and more medical research from leading hospitals and universities across the United States has shown conclusively that a belief in God really is good for you, and can make you healthier, happier, and induce you to live longer to boot.
An exhaustive analysis of more than 1,500 reputable medical studies “indicates people who are more religious and pray more have better mental and physical health,” Koenig says. “And out of 125 studies that looked at the link between health and regular worship, 85 showed regular churchgoers live longer [Quote] [Click Link Below for entire article]
There was a somewhat shocking report on “60 Minutes” that documents pretty much that sugar is a toxin and that when we cut down on fat consumption, we upped our consumption of added sugar. Can you say, “High fructose corn syrup.” Congress compelled the food industry to list contents on prepared food showing their names in decreasing amount of the whole food content. Check your food. You will be surprised how many of the foods you love have high fructose corn syrup which does not exist in nature. The body recognizes it as being the same as regular sugar. However, research is beginning to show how added sugar can lead to heart disease and cancer. [Video: CBS]
- Is Sugar Toxic? Dr. Robert Lustig Thinks So (inquisitr.com)
- Is sugar toxic? (blogginghounds.wordpress.com)
- High Fructose Corn Syrup Facts (mademan.com)
- Yum? (manicpixiemickie.com)
- Foods You Should Avoid (everydayhealth.com)
- The Scoop on Sugar and Sugar Substitutes (everydayhealth.com)
- Sugar Versus Corn Syrup: The Debate Rages On (inquisitr.com)
- Is High Fructose Corn Syrup Really Bad for You? [Giz Explains] (gizmodo.com)
MEN IN VIRGINIA HAVE MADE IT LAWFUL TO REQUIRE THAT THEIR WOMEN BE PROBED VAGINALY BY THE FOLLOWING DEVICE BEFORE AN ABORTION:
WELL, MEN, DON’T FORGET: ONCE YOU REACH 50 Y/O, YOU SHOULD, YOURSELVES BE PROBED ANALLY AND HAVE IT REPEATED EVERY 5 YEARS WITH THIS DEVICE FOR COLON CANCER:
THIS IS NO JOKE, LIKE YOUR USELESS INVASION OF SUBJECT WOMEN’S BODIES!
PLEASE VERIFY THIS INFORMATION WITH YOUR DOCTOR.
- If I were a woman, I wouldn’t live in Virginia… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Women Beware: Republicans Will Probe Your Privates (duanegraham.wordpress.com)
- Virginia Is Now Perilously Close to Criminalizing Abortion [Roe V World] (jezebel.com)
- Virginia House Passes Bills Restricting Abortion (blogs.wsj.com)
- Vagina Is For Probers (slog.thestranger.com)
- Virginia House GOP Pushes Through Hotly Debated Abortion Restrictions (washington.cbslocal.com)
- The Attack On Women Is Getting Obscene (ken_ashford.typepad.com)
- Please Pay Attention! Virginia Passes Law Basically Outlawing Abortion (clutchmagonline.com)