SERMON: “WHAT TO TELL THE KIDS…” by Rev. Harris Riodan
SONG: “Lift Every Voice and Sing”
AN ALL AMERICAN HERO
- Martin Luther King Song – Martin Can You Hear Us? – Launches for MLK Holiday; Song Designed to Reconnect Americans to the Importance of King’s Legacy and Teachings (prweb.com)
- Martin Luther King, Jr., Facts On His Life & Legacy (wycd.radio.com)
- Martin Luther King Jr. – I have a Dream! (survivingtothriving.wordpress.com)
- Celebrating the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. – Washington Post (washingtonpost.com)
- Photos: Martin Luther King Day will be celebrated Monday (vancouversun.com)
- Martin Luther King Jr. archives: Are sit-in protests justifiable? (thegrio.com)
- OWS Prepares to Occupy Martin Luther King Jr. Day (dailyfinance.com)
- Donna Brazile to deliver keynote at WSU tribute to Martin Luther King Jr. (pinkbananaworld.com)
- In Recognition of Martin Luther King Day (scottcclibrary.wordpress.com)
THE RACHEL MADDOW SHOW
+++ ♥ +++
Lord bless Your Servant John F. Kennedy with salvation.
ME AND JFK
Lord, I have lived three score and seven years as black man in America. As a young and sensitive black boy in the south in the 60’s, one white president gave me hope that, though a Negro, I could live a life akin to that of my white neighbors, full of civil rights and protections of The Constitution. I watched President John F. Kennedy on black and white television speak to the nation as a prophet and being to me the incarnation of hope for Negro America that finally the times were changing, even though our struggles would include much suffering and death. There would be beatings, attacks by dogs and billy clubs and much invective. You cannot imagine the shock this young naive boy felt on November 22, 1963, when a voice on my high p.a. system siad that ‘they’ killed Jack Kennedy and silenced the voice of hope. In my whole life no death has affected me more. God bless you John F. Kennedy. God save your soul!
[It is important to note that our hopes were not dashed. God also gave us Martin Luther King, another saint.]
SONG: “Lift Every Voice and Sing“
By Stanley B. Greenberg
In 2010, a record 10 percent of opposite-sex married couples told America’s census takers that they lived in an interracial household—up from 7.4 percent in 2000. Given America’s racial history with blacks, Latinos, Japanese and Chinese, 1 in 10 is no doubt a pretty intriguing fact about the country, a reflection of big social transformations that have taken place over the past few decades, and worth examination on its own. But the numbers don’t just tell us about where the country is—they suggest a dramatic story about where it’s headed.
President Barack Obama is the living embodiment of this trend—a one-man melting pot, as he noted during his March 18, 2008 address on the long-since-forgotten Rev. Jeremiah Wright controversy. “I have brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles and cousins, of every race and every hue, scattered across three continents,” he said, “and for as long as I live, I will never forget that in no other country on Earth is my story even possible.” He was re-elected in 2012 amid historic turnout among minority voters, a fact that has not been lost on his opponents, especially the white conservatives who inhabit the outer reaches of the far right.
SEVERAL AMERICAN FAMILIES CANNOT MAKE FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS BECAUSE OF SPEAKER JOHN BOEHNER‘S ARROGANT STANCE THAT THE LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD SHOULD YIELD TO A MERE MORTAL’S DEMANDS AND CONDITIONS. MR. BOEHNER CONTINUES TO BELIEVE REPUBLICANS HAVE A DIVINITY WHICH ELUDES THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND THE GLOBAL OBSERVERS OF OUR POLITICAL INSANITY. IF PRESIDENT OBAMA CAVES NOW, EVERY PRESIDENT TO FOLLOW WILL HAVE TO CAVE IN THIS MANNER. BE STRONG, MR. PRESIDENT! GOD IS ON YOUR SIDE!