TALKING POINTS MEMO
By Jennifer Epstein
“I don’t have an update for you on that. I know that he will and has said that he will,” Carney told reporters.
Asked when the registration will happen and whether the White House will make it open to the press, Carney responded: “I’ll get back to you.”
Soon after the ACA passed, the White House had told USA Today that Obama would sign up for insurance through an exchange, and when POLITICO followed up earlier this year, a reporter was directed back to those comments.
Carney’s comments Monday were the first recent confirmation of the president’s plans. He has the option of choosing to work through the District of Columbia or his home state of Illinois.
November 8, 2013
The Honorable Darrell E. Issa
Washington, D.C. 20515
Dear Mr. Chairman:
Yesterday, you went on national television and made extremely serious allegations against U.S. Chief Technology Officer Todd Park and White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, essentially accusing them of lying to the American people about the Healthcare.gov website. You then used these alleged falsehoods to justify your threat to subpoena Mr. Park to force him to appear before the Committee next week to answer your allegations. Based on information obtained by the Committee a full week ago, however, it appears that your attacks against Mr. Park and Mr. Carney are unfounded and that your statements yesterday either misunderstood or mischaracterized the information the Committee obtained. In either case, I believe it is important to correct the public record, and I request that you apologize to these officials for the unsubstantiated accusations against them.
Unfounded Accusations Against Mr. Park and Mr. Carney
Yesterday, you launched a public attack against Mr. Park and Mr. Carney, accusing them of intentionally making false statements about the number of users that were anticipated for the Healthcare.gov website.
- Elijah Cummings rips Darrell Issa for ‘reckless’ anti-Obamacare accusations (rawstory.com)
- Darrell Issa Accused Of Editing Selectively Again, This Time Over Obamacare (huffingtonpost.com)
- Elijah Cummings rips Darrell Issa for ‘reckless’ anti-Obamacare accusations (alternativenewsalert.com)
- Top House Democrat Rips Darrell Issa For Spreading Lies About Healthcare.gov Website (politicususa.com)
- Sun Rises In East, Darrell Issa Lies About It (wonkette.com)
By Michael Isakoff and Daniel Arkin, NBC NEWS
The move comes in the wake of the mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, which raised concerns about security procedures at U.S. military installations.
Military officials said that the shooter — Aaron Alexis, 34, a former Navy reservist who was working as a civilian contractor — had a security card that allowed him access to the Navy Yard but not to the office building where he later opened fire, killing 12 people and wounding several others Monday.
Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday accused Syria of using chemical weapons against its people, and U.S. officials told NBC News that they would release intelligence evidence to prepare the public for a possible military response.
President Barack Obama hasn’t made any decision on whether wage strikes against the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad, White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters Monday. But other U.S. officials told NBC News that the administration could begin laying the groundwork by disclosing the evidence as early as Tuesday.
The officials said an attack isn’t imminent, because it will take time to make all the information public, and preparations must be coordinated with allies including Britain, France and Turkey. The U.S. is also unlikely to attack while a U.N. weapons team remains in Syria — and it isn’t scheduled to leave until Sunday.
The officials reiterated that any military action would be limited and not targeted at Assad because its goal would be to respond to the use of chemical weapons. Targets would be command and control bunkers, airfields and artillery.
Posted byCNN’s Kevin Liptak
Washington (CNN) - His upcoming legislative push for tighter restrictions on firearms won’t ignore the concerns of gun owners, President Barack Obama said in a wide-ranging interview published Sunday.
While his teenage daughters haven’t partaken in skeet shooting – a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks – he has brought guests with him, he said in the interview.
“I have a profound respect for the traditions of hunting that trace back in this country for generations,” he said. “And I think those who dismiss that out of hand make a big mistake.” FULL ARTICLE
ERRATUM: Video incorrectly says “Thursday.”
Just over a month after forming a task force aimed at reducing gun violence, President Obama will formally announce a “package of concrete proposals” for doing so tomorrow, the White House announced today.
In a White House press briefing today, spokesman Jay Carney declined to outline exactly what Mr. Obama’s plan would entail, but noted that it would reflect the president’s desire for a “comprehensive approach,” as well as specific legislative actions he has called on before — including reinstating the assault weapons ban, a ban on high-capacity magazine clips, and expanded background checks for gun owners.
“The president certainly hopes that out of the tragedy of Newtown we can achieve progress towards reducing gun violence in this country,” Carney said. “He believes that we can no longer stand by without taking action…Achieving some of the goals that he has already set might be difficult. Because they’re difficult does not mean they should not be pursued.” FULL ARTICLE
By Justin Sink
Press secretary Jay Carney said the president would back Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) when she introduces legislation at the opening of the next Congress to ban certain assault weapons in the United States.
Carney said the president would also support other gun-control efforts, including legislation to close the so-called “gun show” loophole and prevent
the sale of high-capacity ammunition clips.
The president has reached out to lawmakers who have expressed a new willingness to consider gun restrictions in the wake of Friday’s mass shooting in Newtown, Conn., that claimed the lives of 27 people, including 20 children. Carney said Obama has been “heartened” by the willingness to consider such measures from Democrats who have been strong supporters of gun rights.
Obama spoke on Tuesday with Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), a long-time member of the National Rifle Association who this week said “everything should be on the table” to address gun violence. FULL ARTICLE
By Halimah Abdullah, CNN
Washington (CNN) — The White House said President Barack Obama supports reinstatement of a federal ban on assault weapons — a position he took in the 2008 campaign but failed to press during his first term.
An emotional Obama did not address that issue directly in a televised statement from the White House on the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown that killed 26 people but said something had to be done.
“We’re going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics,” said Obama, the father of two girls.
He wiped away tears when he spoke of the “beautiful little kids” killed in the massacre.