22 December 2011 Last updated at 11:28 ET Help
Petty Officer 2nd Class Marissa Gaeta, who had been at sea for 80 days, won the right to be the first person to kiss her partner on shore in a raffle.
- Same-Sex Couple Share The Traditional Navy First Kiss (pinkisthenewblog.com)
- In The Navy: Lesbian Couple Embraces In Premiere Same-Sex ‘First Kiss’ (laist.com)
- L.A. sailor Marissa Gaetz makes history with lesbian ‘first kiss’ (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- First kiss seals end to ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ (smh.com.au)
- Historical Homecoming Kiss of the Day (thedailywh.at)
CNN ANNOUNCES THAT AT 5:30 SENATOR HARRY REID WILL COME TO THE MICROPHONE AND ANNOUNCE THAT HE AND SPEAKER JOHN BOEHNER HAVE REACHED A DEAL. BOEHNER HAS ALREADY MADE HIS ANNOUNCEMENT RELENTING TO THE SITUATION HE AND ERIC CANTOR CREATED. TURN YOUR TV TO CNN FOR THE TV ANNOUNCEMENT AT 5:30PM. IT IS HOPE THAT THE DEAL WILL BE SEALED BY UNANIMOUS CONSENT. THERE WILL BE A CONFERENCE AFTERALL. SENATOR CHARLES SCHUMER WARNS THAT THIS IS A FIRST STEP AND SUCCESS WILL DEPEND ON ALL REPUBLICANS REALLY BEING COMMITTED TO THE DEAL. THE FIRST REAL TEST WILL BE EXTENDING THE TAX CUT FOR A YEAR.
- Mitch McConnell: Pass Short-Term Payroll Tax Cut Extension, Make Separate Year-Long Measure (huffingtonpost.com)
- McConnell Proposes a Way Forward on Payroll Tax Standoff (abcnews.go.com)
I was quite amused by Martin Bashir (from England) used Shakespeare to describe the relationship between Speaker of the House, John Boehner (R-OH) and House Majority Leader, Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA). Boehner is “Othello” to Cantor’s “Iago.” It is a wonderful play and even better opera. It is entertaining to read Wikipedia’s description of the character “Iago” in Shakespeare’s “Othello”:
Description of character
Iago is one of Shakespeare’s most sinister villains, often considered such because of the unique trust that Othello places in him, which he betrays while maintaining his reputation of honesty and dedication. Shakespeare contrasts Iago with Othello’s nobility and integrity. With 1097 lines, he has more lines than Othello.
Iago is a Machiavellian schemer and manipulator, as he is often referred to as “honest Iago”, displaying his skill at deceiving other characters so that not only do they not suspect him, but they count on him as the person most likely to be truthful.
Shakespearean critic A. C. Bradley said that “evil has nowhere else been portrayed with such mastery as in the evil character of Iago.” The mystery surrounding Iago’s actual motives continues to intrigue readers and fuel scholarly debate.
- WILL SPEAKER JOHN BOEHNER SURVIVE 2012? (Eric Cantor Waits in the wings)) (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Who should play iago in modern day Othello (wiki.answers.com)
- HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER, Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA) Goes on TV to Shift Blame for His Screw-Up on Handling Tax Extension (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Which characters in Othello make an issue of Othellos race (wiki.answers.com)
- “I Ran a Bar. I Can Run America!” (Guess Who) (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- What can I use to argue in defence of Shakespeare’s character Iago in Othello that he is not actually evil (wiki.answers.com)
- Wading through Shakespeare: “Othello” (sarahalicewaterhouse.wordpress.com)
I’ve known the President and the First Lady for a long time.
I’ve seen them face some big years before. But the year ahead will be the biggest.
And as we head into 2012, I think we should show Barack and Michelle how many folks are standing with them.
A couple of us on the campaign are putting together a card for everyone to sign with our names and notes, wishing the President and the First Lady well for the year ahead. It may feel like a small gesture, but it’s one that becomes very large, very quickly, when hundreds of thousands of people add their names. I just know it’s going to mean the world to them.
This is Barack Obama’s last campaign. Let’s show him and Michelle that we’ll be behind them every step of the way next year:
Thank you, and best wishes for a happy new year.
- Feeling the Love (thepage.time.com)
- Barack Obama Campaign Collecting GOP Emails (lesliebrodie.wordpress.com)
- Obama Campaign Encouraging Supporters To Donate In Republicans’ Names (nicedeb.wordpress.com)
- A Message from OBAMA 2012 (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- The Obama Campaign Wants To Help You Have Fun At The Expense Of Your Republican Friends (wcntransmedia.wordpress.com)
- the 2012 election: our grassroots fundraising program…Julianna Smoot, BarackObama.com (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Good Question: Is Obama Trying to Sabotage the GOP? (themoderatevoice.com)
President Obama and Secretary Clinton, Please Use Our $ Thousands in Aid to Protect LGBT in Cameroon
Jonas is 19 years old. Francky is 20. And a judge in Cameroon just sentenced them both to 5 years in prison for being gay.
Cameroon has several laws that criminalize homosexuality — at least 10 people have been arrested this year alone. Last July, Jonas and Francky were arrested outside a club on suspicion of violating these discriminatory anti-gay laws.
“Violence against gay people in Cameroon has skyrocketed to unprecedented levels: the situation is quickly becoming a crisis,” says human rights attorney Alice Nkom. “The president of Cameroon can put a stop to this and, if he feels enough pressure, he will do so.”
Stephane Koche is a Cameroonian LGBT rights activist working with the organization ADEFHO (Association of Defence of Homosexuals) to free Jonas and Francky. Stephane started a petition on Change.org demanding that Cameroonian president Paul Biya free Jonas and Francky immediately. Please sign Stephane’s petition today.
The good news is that Cameroonian leaders have been responsive to pressure in cases like Jonas and Francky’s. Indeed, pressure from local activists has already helped to free 3 of those 10 individuals who were arrested, and this past May, global pressure on the president of Malawi compelled him to release a gay couple who had been jailed after they got married.
If President Biya feels international pressure to release Jonas and Francky, he will do so, but time is of the essence. Please sign Stephane’s petition right now demanding that President Biya free two men sentenced to 5 years in prison for being gay:
Thanks for being a change-maker,
- CAMEROON Sentences Three ‘Effeminate Men’ to Maximum Prison Time (oblogdeeoblogda.wordpress.com)
- Amnesty: Cameroon must release men on gay sex charges (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Demand Cameroon release gay men sentenced to five years in prison (our-compass.org)
- Cameroon homosexuality trial condemned (guardian.co.uk)
- Amnesty international urge Cameroon to release couple set for sexuality trial (therainbowpost.com)
- Cameroon President Biya sworn in (bbc.co.uk)
- Frank Biya set to succeed Paul Biya in Cameroon (juliusche.com)
- Cameroon Sends Three Men to Prison for Five Years for Gay Sex (towleroad.com)
- All Out – CRISIS IN CAMEROON: STAND WITH ALICE (worldwright.wordpress.com)
- Cameroon: Three Men Receive Five-Year Jail Sentence for ‘Being Gay’ (ibtimes.com)
Attorney General Eric Holder said a federal probe found discrimination against 200,000 qualified African-American and Hispanic borrowers from 2004 to 2008 during the height of the housing market boom. He said minority borrowers who qualified for prime loans were steered into higher interest rate subprime loans.
Bank of America purchased Countrywide in 2008 for $4 billion in a deal that made the bank the nation’s leading mortgage lender at the time. The deal closed in July 2008 ahead of the meltdown in financial markets that fall. [QUOTE: CNN]
- BofA Near Deal With DOJ On Claims Countrywide Used Abusive Lending Practices (huffingtonpost.com)
- Gop Unlocks the Norquist Tax Pledge! (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- “On a Clear Day You Can See Forever!” (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Grover Norquist Lies to the American People While Suffering from the Delusion He Represents Us (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Grover Norquist and His Empire (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
THIS JUST IN: PRESIDENT OBAMA WILL NOW SPEAK AT 1:00PM EST
The Republicans think they can shut us up.
When Democrats demanded a vote on the payroll tax cut yesterday, Republicans cut their microphones, tucked tail and ran right off the House floor. Speaker John Boehner even cut off the TV cameras!
Now, Boehner’s campaign squad is trying to shift the blame to President Obama and House Democrats for raising taxes on the middle class. Don’t let them get away with it.
My friends at the DCCC are looking to double-down on a massive Rapid Response Operation calling out these shameful Republicans. They’ve doubled their original $100,000 goal, and need just $32,231 by Midnight Tomorrow to hit $200K.
I’m sorry if it hurts their feelings, but when House Republicans slam 160 million middle class folks with a $1,000 tax increase, you can be darn sure we’re gonna holler about it.
Funny thing is Mr. Boehner said he is not even stressed about it — nah, apparently no big deal to him — he told some reporters he doesn’t do “stress” and whined about how “grouchy” his Republican Members of Congress were being.
I don’t know about you but what makes me grouchy is these Tea Partiers in Congress protecting their billionaire and Big Oil buddies every chance they get.
A generous gift right now will go a long way to calling Boehner, Cantor and the rest of ’em out. Heck, it might even make him grouchier — so it’s worth it for that alone. Help us today.
- James Carville: The World’s 7 Most Powerful Liberals (forbes.com)
- Three Weeks is a Long Time in Politics (politicalwire.com)
- James Carville: Who Cares If People Like Dems More Than GOP If We Keep Losing Elections? (mediaite.com)
- Why the GOP field is so weak (cnn.com)
- Clinton Pollster Calls GOP a Dying ‘Cult’ (usnews.com)
- Fools … James Carville (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Carville Says Romney Will Be the Nominee (politicalwire.com)
- Newt Gingrich Locks Down The Powerful Gary Busey Endorsement (videogum.com)