This is incredible: We’ve reached 140,023 signatures on our petition calling out Eric Cantor for caving to special interests and softening the STOCK Act, a bill intended to ban insider trading and crack down on corruption.
Hours after a watered down STOCK Act passed the House, news broke that powerful Republican Spencer Bachus, chairman of the House Financial Services Committee will face an ethics investigation over possible insider trading allegations. Bachus is being investigated about whether he received secret briefings on the imminent collapse of the economy in 2008 and then made trades to profit off the economic crisis.
If you haven’t signed our petition it’s not too late. House and Senate negotiators will be meeting to hammer out a final STOCK Act bill. Make your voice heard and send an unmistakable message to Eric Cantor and Speaker Boehner to demand the toughest ethics reforms and that that people’s interests come before the special interests.
- STOCK Act Passes House as Bachus Insider Trading Investigation Begins (news.firedoglake.com)
- Is Eric Cantor Trying To Kill The Proposed Ban On Congressional Insider Trading? (thinkprogress.org)
- Rep. Bachus Investigated For Insider Trading (npr.org)
- STOCK Act passes Senate cloture vote. I call Bull Sh*t on Eric Cantor. (professorbainbridge.com)
- Weakening the STOCK Act- Stock and Trade of the House Republicans (themoderatevoice.com)
- House GOP offers its own insider trading bill (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- WILL SPEAKER JOHN BOEHNER SURVIVE 2012? (Eric Cantor Waits in the wings)) (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Huge House majority backs insider trading ban (tarpon.wordpress.com)