News from The Hill:
Payroll tax deal could come as soon as tonight
By Bernie Becker
Negotiators could close a deal to extend the payroll tax cut, emergency unemployment benefits and the Medicare reimbursement rate for doctors as soon as tonight, a source with knowledge of discussions said Tuesday.
The source said that lawmakers in both the House and Senate were showing “real signs of progress” on a package that would extend the payroll tax cut without paying for it, a concession House GOP leaders signaled they could back on Monday.
Extending emergency unemployment insurance and the Medicare “doc fix,” which combined cost roughly $50 billion to $60 billion, would be offset elsewhere in the budget.
Another 10 months of the payroll tax cut would cost roughly $100 billion, and all three items are set to expire at the end of the month, unless Congress reaches a deal.
- Senate Dems Could Add UI and Doc Fix to Unfunded Payroll Tax Cut Bill (news.firedoglake.com)
- Obama Welcomes Signs of Progress on Payroll Tax Cut (nytimes.com)
- House GOP: Let’s Extend The Payroll Tax Without Pay-Fors (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Capitol Hill weighs GOP payroll tax gambit (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Obama uses bully pulpit to press his advantage on payroll tax cut (thehill.com)
- Obama: Progress on Payroll Tax Cuts (myfoxphoenix.com)
- Payroll tax fight a clean win for Dems? (politico.com)
- Obama: Payroll tax cut fight isn’t over yet – CBS News (cbsnews.com)
This just in! Karen Finney, former Communications Director of the Democratic National Committee and now political analyst for MSNBC just revealed why Republicans hold the Keystone XL Pipeline so dear and were willing to vote for an increase in income taxes for 160 million hard-working Americans: Remember who Grover Norquist is? Regular readers of this blog will. If you are new please use the SEARCH feature on this page and read about the man who has secured written pledges from Republicans in Congress NOT TO RAISE TAXES in their lifetimes. Now we know that these pledges were meant for the pocketbooks of millionaires and billionaires, but, through their maneuvering, House Speaker, John Boehner and House Majority Leader Eric Cantorhave RAISED TAXES ON THE MIDDLE-CLASS! THAT MEANS YOU! Beginning January 1, Republicans have raised your taxes by $1000! Many on unemployment have had their benefits reduced. Seniors’ healthcare is in jeopardy because federal repayments to doctors who treat Medicare patients might(?) be reduced. Well, why did Republicans were so passionate about including the clamor over the Keystone XL Pipeline in this mix? Because they all are about money? Not exactly. According to
Karen, the Keystone XL Pipeline is a client of one, Grover Norquist, Republican lobbyist and head of Americans for Tax Reform! So, people, the dots are all connected. This is why John Boehner’s constituents demonstrated against him at his local office and were refused admittance. This is why our approval rating of the Congress is at an all-time low of 11%! This is why so many Americans think our politicians are crooks! THROW THE BUMS OUT!
We can never forget the most famous Republican crook in history:
- HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER, Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA) Goes on TV to Shift Blame for His Screw-Up on Handling Tax Extension (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- “House GOP Lays Out Its True Beliefs For All To See” – The National Memo (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Whose Cup of Tea? Republicans flat on financial fixes under guise of Grover Norquist (donny-wise.com)
- Grover Norquist’s Real Game: Shifting Power and Wealth to the 1 Percent (alternet.org)
- Grover Norquist Lies to the American People While Suffering from the Delusion He Represents Us (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Grover Norquist Plots 2012 Assault On States’ Successful Clean Energy Standards (thinkprogress.org)
- GOP Tax (Pledge) Breaks (planetpov.com)
- Dave Reichert, Tax Hypocrite (slog.thestranger.com)
- Here is what the GOP wants to do to you (tribuneofthepeople.wordpress.com)
- WATCH: Maddow Hammers John Boehner And House Republicans (huffingtonpost.com)