What Do 20.4 Million Women Have in Common?
President Obama’s health care law requires that new health insurance plans cover preventive services with no co-pay or deductible. In the last 18 months, a new provision of the Affordable Care Act has done just that for approximately 20.4 million women with private health insurance.
- Protecting Women’s Health (thedailybeast.com)
- This Industry Will Charge You For Being A Woman (huffingtonpost.com)
- Affordable Care Act: How LGBT people benefit – San Diego Gay & Lesbian News (drugstoresource.wordpress.com)
- NWLC Report: Discriminatory health insurance practices cost women $1 billion a year (yubanet.com)
- Secretary Sebelius unveils “MyCare” stories (nvrdc.wordpress.com)
- Gender Gap Persists in Cost of Health Insurance (newomenforchange.org)
- High court has options on health care law (news.yahoo.com)
- Updated Estimates for the Insurance Coverage Provisions of the Affordable Care Act (bespacific.com)
Back in 2008, after the passage of Proposition 8 banned gay marriage in California, there was a lot of talk about putting a pro-marriage initiative on the ballot in 2010. That didn’t happen, and my read of public opinion at the time suggested we’d be better off waiting a little bit to ensure victory. Time was on our side, after all. This may all be moot if Prop 8 gets overturned by the Supreme Court, but in any case, it looks like the success of same-sex marriage laws in other states has had a galvanizing effect on California public opinion. According to the Field Poll, about 51 percent of Californians approved of gay marriage in 2008, and that number hadn’t budged much by 2010. But their latest poll shows a huge shift. [READ MORE]
Why Wasn’t Santorum Man Enough to Go on TV and Apologize to Women for His Primary Role in the “War on Women”?
For awhile, Rick Santorum lectured us on what the nuns taught him….gave him his personal view of things. IMHO, Rick is totally Catholic where it is easy for him to lie to us and then go to Confession and get his sins excused. Rick wants us to stop asking questions about what he said on contraception, sex, birth control, “the sexual realm (whatever that means) and gay rights. IMHO it is reasonable to believe that Rick Santorum may have reminded his lawyer wife about the Bible‘s role of a wife and made her submit to his request to go on CNN and try to save his ass. It is just possible, I say As it is now, he is free to reverse what his wife said, should his fantasy of becoming President occurs.
- Santorum Shuts Down His Big Mouth on Contraception! (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- It’s So Sad… (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Hey, Rick Santorum, Have You Heard of Diplomacy? I Guess Not. 😦 (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Karen Santorum: Rick is not ‘anti-women’ (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Rick Santorum’s Wife Says He’d ‘Do Nothing’ About Contraception If Elected (huffingtonpost.com)
- Karen Santorum on Rick being “anti-women”: “Not at all…Rick was the one who was home changing diapers” (piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com)
- Thoughts on Santorum’s views on the role of women in society (craigmconsidine.wordpress.com)
THE COLBERT REPORT
Let this be a goodbye song hoping Rush Limbaugh will be forced to leave radio and live on his billions of dirty money
- WATCH: Colbert Mocks Rush Limbaugh’s Fleeing Advertisers (huffingtonpost.com)
- WATCH: Colbert Calls Rush Limbaugh A ‘Poster Boy For Contraception’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Better Know a Guest, March 5th – 8th, 2012 (colbertnewshub.com)
- Rush Limbaugh’s Slutgate Lampooned by Colbert (thedigitalliberalalliance.wordpress.com)
- Stephen Colbert: Rush Limbaugh is a prostitute – msnbc.com (entertainment.msnbc.msn.com)
- Colbert: ‘Rush Will Do Anything With His Mouth For Cash’ (tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com)
- 10 Things You May Have Missed On TV This Week [Video] (jezebel.com)
The Washington Post revealed this weekend that the White House has a current offer “still on the table” to make billions of dollars of cuts in Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Democratic Leaders in Congress, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi, grudgingly agreed to the deal, according to the Post.
Tell Obama, Reid, and Pelosi: hands off Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.
Obama should veto any budget that does not increase taxes on the wealthy. But missing from the entire budget discussion is the existence of absurdly bloated military spending.
Military spending takes over half of discretionary spending and is protected by the silence of both parties and the media. Military spending hurts the economy, rather than boosting it. Military spending makes us less safe, destroys the environment, erodes civil liberties, concentrates presidential power, blocks progressive initiatives, and kills large numbers of people.
And polls show the majority of Americans want military spending cut.
Please forward this email widely to like-minded friends.
David, Aimee, Sarah,
and the Roots Action Team
P.S. Our small staff is supported by contributions from people like you;your donations are greatly appreciated.
- Obama Offers to Cut Social Security, Medicare by RootsAction (socialactions.net)
- Obama’s Budget, Explained in a Chart (businessweek.com)
- House GOP Budget Won’t Include Military Spending Cuts (thinkprogress.org)
- Understanding America’s Biggest Problem in Just Two Minutes (chrislittleton.com)
- Tell Congress They Must Cut Military Spending by War Resisters League (socialactions.net)
- White House Tells GOP To Offset Military Spending Cuts With Taxes On The Rich (thinkprogress.org)
- How America Pays Taxes vs Other Wealthy Countries (turbotax.intuit.com)
- Panetta Acknowledges That Military Spending Impacts The Federal Deficit (thinkprogress.org)
- Why Republicans Need Remedial Math: Their Budget Plans Explode the Deficit (fabiusmaximus.wordpress.com)
Rev. Al Sharpton wrote a new post Trayvon Martin — Victim of Bias & Gun-totting Vigilantism
Rev. Al Sharpton 03/19/12
I wait for an era when young Black men will no longer have to live in fear. Decades after the abolishment of slavery, we were haunted by the reality of being hunted down, beaten and lynched by both…
To comment on this post, follow the link below: