2 days ago
Poll: Santorum support dips in home state
CNN Producer Gabriella Schwarz
The Franklin and Marshall College Poll released Wednesday indicated Santorum with 30% support among likely Republican primary voters compared to Mitt Romney‘s 28% support. Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich trailed with 9% and 6% backing respectively.
– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
by Sam Stein
NEW YORK — In 2008, Mitt Romney‘s political action committee made a $10,000 donation to the National Organization of Marriage at a time when the anti-gay rights organization was seeking repeal of a California law legalizing marriage equality.
While neither the donation nor Romney’s opposition to same-sex marriage were a secret, the precise way in which he contributed to NOM remained under tight wraps until Friday. One of the only public comments on the matter came when the former Massachusetts governor‘s top spokesman, Eric Fehrnstrom, told the Deseret News that Romney supported California’s Proposition 8, which would reverse the state law allowing for same-sex marriage, and that he would be writing a check to NOM.
“The governor feels strongly that marriage is an institution between a man and a woman, and one of the most high-profile fights on this subject is happening in California,” Fehrnstrom said at the time.
Uploaded by MidweekPolitics on Aug 26, 2011
–Rick Santorum says abortions are simply too traumatic for rape victims, and therefore he should decide that they should not be allowed.
Editor’s note: Jeffrey Bellin, an assistant professor of law at Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, formerly served as a federal prosecutor in Washington, D.C.
According to police, Zimmerman claims self-defense, but many observers can’t understand how a grown man with a gun can plausibly claim that he was forced to kill a teenager armed only with some candy.
If that’s the law of self-defense in Florida (and elsewhere), these observers argue, the law needs to change.
The law of self-defense is at its core about reasonableness. If a person reasonably perceives a serious threat of harm, and uses reasonable force to meet that threat, the law justifies even deadly force, and it does so even if it turns out that the perceived threat was illusory. [CNN] FULL ARTICLE
Baker and his twin brother, Chris, were coming home from a party that night, driving in separate cars.
A 23-year-old security guard named Seth Browning started following Baker. He later claimed Baker had been driving suspiciously.
All three cars stopped on Seagull Drive in Palm Harbor. That is where the story is disputed.
- Sheriff: Pinellas Man Tries to Hire Jail Inmate to Kill His Wife (tampa.cbslocal.com)
- Palm Harbor Daycare Worker Found Guilty In Death of Baby (tampa.cbslocal.com)
- Indict Florida (bobhackworth.wordpress.com)
Jon Stewart, so funny!
PAUL, WHY YOU KEEP HITTING YOUR HEAD AGAINST A BRICK WALL HOPING FOR A DIFFERENT RESULT?
- Ryan budget passes, heads to certain death in the Senate (shortformblog.com)
- Ryan budget passes on partisan vote (politico.com)
- House Republicans Pass Paul Ryan’s Radical Budget (thinkprogress.org)
- The Republicans’ budget proposal: Paul Ryan doubles down (economist.com)
- Paul Ryan Thinks US Military is Lying to Congress (crooksandliars.com)
- Paul Ryan’s Gift to Obama | The Nation (tribuneofthepeople.com)
- House ready to OK GOP budget, rejects rival plans (sfgate.com)
- GOP candidates respond to Republican budget (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)