And this sign from tonight’s event said it all: “Vaginas brought you into the world and vaginas will vote you out.”
This all stems from a debate over abortion legislation. Rep. Lisa Brown was censured for using the word vagina on the House floor.
“And finally, Mr. Speaker, I’m flattered that you’re all so interested in my vagina, but no means no,” Brown said Wednesday.
Republican leaders insisted they were offended by her “rape reference,” not the word “vagina.”
- Easily offended Michigan Republicans about to get Vagina Monologued (dailykos.com)
- Eve Ensler and The Vagina Monologues Have Been Summoned to Lansing by Lisa Brown’s ‘Vagina’ Incantation [Vagina Monologues] (jezebel.com)
- Saying ‘Vagina’ Should Totally Be Illegal (newser.com)
- Michigan Lawmaker Barred From Speaking After Saying ‘Vagina,’ To Perform ‘Vagina Monologues’ At Capital (thinkprogress.org)
- Eve Ensler and Lisa Brown to read Vagina Monologues in Michigan (guardian.co.uk)
- Michigan women lawmakers to perform ‘Vagina Monologues’ at state capitol (rawstory.com)