As the Gulf Coast waited for Tropical Storm Isaac to make landfall Monday, strip club owners and “exotic” dancers in Tampa anticipated a windfall of ‘stimulus’ spending as the Republican National Convention gets underway.
Extra strippers have been hired. Delegate discounts have been offered. And patriotic decorations, like the GOP elephant logo posted at the entrance of the 2001 Odyssey strip joint, have been put in place. (HuffPost first reported on the efforts of Tampa strip clubs to get ready for the convention in 2011.)
“We’re amping up for it,” Todd Trause, manager of the 2001 Odyssey club, told theNew York Daily News. “We’ve got extra girls coming in. We’ve made sure to have everything in the best condition.”
Despite predictions that baudy business would be triple that of Super Bowl weekend, though, by Monday Tampa’s 20 or so “gentleman’s clubs” reported no bump in business.
- Palin-Impersonating Porn Star Presents Her Platform(s) At Tampa Strip Club During GOP Convention (mediaite.com)
- Strippers Look At The GOP Convention As A Huge Business Opportunity (thegrindstone.com)
- Tampa’s Strip Club King Speaks Out (huffingtonpost.com)
- “Strip Capital Of America”: Tampa Strip Clubs To Feature Sarah Palin Look-A-Likes, Other GOP-Themed Gimmicks (thebusypost.wordpress.com)
- Strip Clubs Get Ready for GOP Convention (politicalwire.com)
- Strip Clubs Ready to Cash In on GOP Convention (politicalwire.com)
- As GOP Convention Sets Up In Tampa, Strip Clubs Are Ready To Serve (ibtimes.com)
- Did the GOP Pick Tampa Because of the Strippers? And Did Romney Pick Ryan Because of His Hard-Bod? (txwclp.org)
- Strippers look to GOP to ‘make it rain’ (cnn.com)