When he doesn’t know a camera’s rolling, the GOP candidate shows his disdain for half of America.
—By David Corn
During a private fundraiser earlier this year, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney told a small group of wealthy contributors what he truly thinks of all the voters who support President Barack Obama. He dismissed these Americans as freeloaders who pay no taxes, who don’t assume responsibility for their lives, and who think government should take care of them. Fielding a question from a donor about how he could triumph in November, Romney replied:
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.
- Off-Record Mitt Romney Says ’47 Percent’ Of Americans Are ‘Entitled’: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Mitt Romney’s missed shot at President Barack Obama (miamiherald.com)
- Pelosi: Mitt Romney is not going to be President of the United States (redalertpolitics.com)
- Mitt Romney’s Worst Week Ever: Three Explanations – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Eliot Spitzer on Mitt Romney’s NAACP remarks: If anyone’s a freeloader, it’s Romney (current.com)
- Romney Avoids Explanations of How to Pay for Campaign Promises – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Obama, Romney courting key states, constituencies (kansascity.com)
- Pennsylvania poll: Obama up by 11 (politico.com)