Swords Into Plowshares
The United Nations garden contains several sculptures and statues that have been donated by different countries. This one is called “Let Us Beat Swords into Plowshares” and was a gift from the then Soviet Union presented in 1959. Made by Evgeniy Vuchetich, the bronze statue represents the figure of a man holding a hammer in one hand and, in the other, a sword which he is making into a plowshare, symbolizing man’s desire to put an end to war and convert the means of destruction into creative tools for the benefit of all mankind.
Copyright © 2001 United Nations
- Obama’s Address to United Nations – NYTimes.com (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- Barack Obama: violence and intolerance have no place among our United Nations (telegraph.co.uk)
- President Obama Addresses the United Nations (whitehouse.gov)
- Obama Honors Slain Ambassador in Anti-Terrorism Speech to United Nations (kron4.com)
- Barack Obama UN speech: US President accuses Iran of ‘propping up’ Syrian ‘dictatorship’ (telegraph.co.uk)