The right-wing hate machine seems to be revving up its engines.
Host Chris Matthews pointed to John Sununu arguing Colin Powell endorsed Obama because they were both black, Sarah Palin using the phrase “shuck and jive” about the commander-in-chief, and Donald Trump demanding Obama release more documents and calling the jobs numbers “a lot of monkey business.”
“If the Romney campaign is really winning you have to ask, then you wouldn’t think they’d be acting like this,” said host Chris Matthews.
Reid argued the brouhahas were all strategic. “This is about over and over again tweaking the Archie Bunker crowd,” said Reid, referring to the 1970s television sitcom blue-collar character criticized for being racist.
She continued, “If this was just about Barack Obama or his policies, Colin Powell wouldn’t magically get sucked into it too. We wouldn’t be hearing Sarah Palin talking about shucking and jiving. I mean how much more obvious do they have to be? This is about trying to run up Romney’s numbers among low information, blue-collar, white voters—particularly older voters who are already uncomfortable with the idea ‘this guy’ being in the White House.”
Corn said “It’s all about saying [Obama’s] not one of us.”
He added, “It’s really sophisticated. It’s not a dog whistle. It’s sort of an orchestra that plays to a wide audience with different instruments.”
- Sununu, Palin, Trump race baiting to rev up ‘the Archie Bunker crowd’ (tv.msnbc.com)
- ‘Shuck and jive?’ Shucks, that just typical Sarah Palin (capitolhillblue.com)
- Chris Matthews, Who Used the Phrase ‘Shuck and Jive,’ Now Calls Sarah Palin Racist for Saying ‘Shuck and Jive’ (newsbusters.org)
- From John Sununu to Sarah Palin, Racism is the Lexicon of the Right (politicususa.com)
- Sarah Palin takes on Chris Matthews over ‘shuck and jive’ (thehill.com)
- Ho Sit Down: Sarah Palin Lowkey Calls President Obama A “Sambo” And Says He’s A “Shuck And Jive Liar” (bossip.com)
- The Simple, Non-Racial Explanation for Why Colin Powell Is Backing Obama (theatlantic.com)
- Romney campaign so desperate to change subject from Mourdock that they accuse Colin Powell of racism (dailykos.com)
- Romney Surrogate John Sununu: Colin Powell Endorsed Obama Because He’s Black (businessinsider.com)