He can design the spectacle in a way that could inflict political embarrassment and damage on Republicans, with the goal being to pressure them to agree to another round of tax increases.
Those hikes would be part of a deal to avert the spending cuts mandated by the Budget Control Act, which Congress passed and Obama signed into law in 2011 as part an agreement to raise the government’s borrowing limit.
As part of that sequestration plan, $1.2 trillion in federal spending will be cut over 10 years, totaling $44 billion for the period beginning March 1 and ending in October.
- Worried about government sequestration cuts? Don’t worry!!!!! (tannngl.wordpress.com)
- RNC splices and dices video to accuse Obama of having wanted sequestration (dailykos.com)
- Obama blames GOP – again – for sequestration (conservativeread.com)
- Obama-Boehner Message Tactic on Cuts Seeks to Cast Blame (bloomberg.com)
- President Obama’s Sequestration Lie (independentsentinel.com)
- What Country Does President Obama Live In? (uscapostasy.wordpress.com)
- Senator Baucus: Sequestration Was Obama’s Idea (nationalreview.com)
- 800,000 Pentagon Layoffs (secretsofthefed.com)