- New pope is Argentina’s Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the former archbishop of Buenos Aires, who takes the name Pope Francis.
- Francis, 76, is the first non-European pope in the modern era, the first South American pope and the first Pope Francis.
- Election comes on first full day of the cardinals’ conclave in the Sistine Chapel.
- New pope, who succeeds Pope Benedict XVI, asks crowd to pray for him.
- Updates below; full story; Bergoglio profile; name “most stunning”; iReport.com: Your views?; Photos from the Vatican
[Updated at 6:25 p.m. ET] That will wrap up our live blog of Francis’ debut. For more coverage, check out the links above and read our full story.
[Updated at 5:52 p.m. ET] When Pope Francis is formally installed in a Mass later this month, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden will be there, leading the U.S. delegation to the…
View original post 2,243 more words
the Vatican Conclave
as they do His work.