“Of course she’s thin,” she tells one client. “She’s been in a camp for a month.”
For many families living in Jordan’s refugee camps, selling their daughters into marriage is the only way to survive. Across the Middle East, it is the custom for the groom to pay the bride’s family, but their desperation is being exploited. Often the marriages are a sham, just a way to have sex. Some last only weeks.
Um Majed gets a cut for every match she makes. Young virgins fetch up to $5,000.
“You want me to get a younger one?” she asks one caller. “Thirteen, fourteen?”
Asked how it feels to marry off a 13-year-old girl, she replies, “Don’t ask me, ask the families. It’s the parents who feel it like a knife to their heart. … But what can they do? We’re in a state of war.”
- Syrian refugees ‘sold for marriage’ in Jordan (femicideacuns.wordpress.com)
- Syrian refugees ‘sold for marriage’ in Jordan (shiaawareness.com)
- Young brides’ dreams crushed amid Syrian civil war (cbsnews.com)
- Syrian women ‘for sale’ in Jordan (bbc.co.uk)
- | Exploitation: Syrian refugees ‘sold for marriage’ in Jordan! (warcrimesinternational.wordpress.com)
- Syrian Refugees ‘Sold For Marriage’ In Jordan (oneislandtwonationsblogspotcom.typepad.com)
- Syria’s refugee brides: ‘My daughter is willing to sacrifice herself for her family’ (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Syrian refugees ‘sold for marriage’ in Jordan (simonadomazetoska.wordpress.com)
- In Cairo, desperate Egyptian men search in vain for a Syrian bride (miamiherald.com)