Updated at 9:50 p.m. ET
This story contains a video some viewers might find graphic.
LONDON – Two men with butcher knives hacked another to death Wednesday near a London military barracks and one then went on video to explain the crime — shouting political statements, gesturing with bloodied hands and waving a meat cleaver. Soon after, arriving police shot and wounded the unidentified assailants and took them into custody.
The brutal daylight attack galvanized this city and raised fears that terrorism had returned to London.
Authorities did not identify the victim by name, but French President Francois Hollande referred to him as a “soldier” at a news conference in Paris with visiting British Prime Minister David Cameron. Cameron would not confirm that, but British media reported that the victim was wearing a shirt in support of troops and Britain’s Ministry of Defense said it was investigating whether a U.K. soldier was involved.
Calling it “an appalling murder,” Cameron said there were “strong indications” it was an act of terrorism, and two other officials said there were signs the attack was motivated by radical Islam.
The Cabinet’s emergency committee was immediately convened and security was stepped up at army barracks across London. Cameron cut short his Paris trip to return to London and his office said he would chair another session Thursday.
- FIRE OUR GOVERNMENT: Man beheaded in suspected terrorist attack outside army barracks in London (fireourgovernment.wordpress.com)
- Soldier beheaded in London in apparent terror attack (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- London terror attack leaves 1 dead near barracks (goerie.com)
- Brutal attack near London military barracks likely terror related (jacksonville.com)
- UPDATE: Radical Islam to blame for deadly London attack, U.K. officials say (amarillo.com)
- London terror attack leaves 1 dead near barracks (kmov.com)
- Cameron: ‘Indications’ London attack terror (islandpacket.com)