(CBS News) People often ask me, “Of all the administrations you’ve covered, which was the most secretive and manipulative?”
The Nixon Administration retired the trophy, of course. Since then, my answer is, “Whichever administration is currently in power.”
Information management has become so sophisticated, every administration learns from the previous one. Each finds new ways to control the flow of information.
It’s reached the point that if I want to interview anyone in the administration on camera, from the lowest-level worker to a top White House official, I have to go through the White House press office.
If their chosen spokesman turns out to have no direct connection to the story of the moment, as was the case when U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice was sent out to explain the Benghazi episode, then that’s what we (and you, the taxpayer) get.
And it usually isn’t much.
But it shouldn’t stop there. The president needs to rethink his entire communications policy, top to bottom. It is hurting his credibility and shortchanging the public.
And to head the review, how about someone other than the Attorney General, whose department is so deeply involved? That makes no sense to me. [FULL QUOTE]
© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
- CBS’ Bob Schieffer Shreds Obama: ‘President Needs To Rethink His Entire Communications Policy’ (mediaite.com)
- WATCH: Schieffer Rips Obama (huffingtonpost.com)
- BOB SCHIEFFER SEEMS TO HAVE HAD ENOUGH: Schieffer to Obama Advisor: ‘Why Are You Here? Why Isn’… (pjmedia.com)
- Video – Schieffer wants Obama to “rethink his entire communications policy” (hotair.com)
- CBS’s Bob Scheiffer continues to show signs of skepticism (utsandiego.com)
- Schieffer: Welcome to Dumb and Dumber in Washington (hotair.com)
- Schieffer: ‘Is Anybody Home’ In Obama Administration (washington.cbslocal.com)
- … Anyone want to watch Bob Schieffer make DannyBoyPfeiffer look like an Idiot ! … (lakeerieconservative.wordpress.com)