By STEVE CHAGGARIS, STEPHANIE CONDON
The Obama administration has concluded that Syrian President Bashar Assad‘s government used chemical weapons against the rebels seeking to overthrow him and, in a major policy shift, President Obama has decided to supply military support to the rebels, the White House announced Thursday.
“The president has made a decision about providing more support to the opposition that will involve providing direct support to the [Supreme Military Council]. That includes military support,” Deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communication Ben Rhodes told reporters.
President Obama has repeatedly said that the use of chemical weapons is a “red line” that, if crossed, would be a “game changer” for more U.S. involvement in the Syrian civil war.
“The President has been clear that the use of chemical weapons – or the transfer of chemical weapons to terrorist groups – is a red line for the United States,” said Rhodes in a separate written statement.
“The President has said that the use of chemical weapons would change his calculus, and it has,” he continued.
In terms of further response, Rhodes said, “we will make decisions on our own timeline” and that Congress and the international community would be consulted. Mr. Obama is heading to Northern Ireland Sunday for a meeting of the G8 group of nations; Rhodes indicated the president will consult with leaders of those countries.
“Any future action we take will be consistent with our national interest, and must advance our objectives, which include achieving a negotiated political settlement to establish an authority that can provide basic stability and administer state institutions; protecting the rights of all Syrians; securing unconventional and advanced conventional weapons; and countering terrorist activity,” Rhodes said.
To date, the U.S. policy on Syria has primarily focused on offering the rebels nonlethal assistance and humanitarian aid.
- White House Says Syria Has “Crossed The Red Line” (wibw.com)
- Obama Admin Concludes Assad Crossed ‘Red Line’ In Syria, Will Now Offer Military Support To Syrian Rebels (midnightwatcher.wordpress.com)
- US: Syria used chemical weapons, crossing “red line” (dprogram.net)
- White House: Syria crosses ‘red line’ with use of chemical weapons on its people (kens5.com)
- Obama to Supply Military Support to Syrian Rebels (enumclaw.com)
- Syria used chemical weapons against rebels, U.S. says (wjla.com)
- US confirms Syria used chemical weapons against rebels (stripes.com)
- White House: Syria has crossed ‘red line’ (wyff4.com)
- MORE PREEMPTIVE WAR: U.S. To Increase ‘Scope And Scale’ Of Aid To Rebels (secretsofthefed.com)