Editor-at-large, HuffPost Gay Voices
Sherri Shepherd of ABC’s “The View’ has not exactly been the most ardent champion of gay rights in the past, having supported Proposition 8 in 2008. But yesterday on the show she commented that if Virgina GOP gubernatorial candidate Ken Cucinelli — who is intent on reinstating Virginia’s Crimes Against Nature law — really thinks oral sex (between any two people) is the same as gay sex, then she, a self-professed evangelical Christian, “is gayer than a gay two-dollar bill.”
Is this really where the GOP is going in 2013, taking on straight sex too? And that raises yet another question: Is it time for a reporter to ask Cucinelli, currently the Virginia attorney general, if he’s ever engaged in cunnilingus or had anyone go down on him? Is American politics truly headed in that direction as the GOP defies political analysts as well as the beliefs and practices of the vast majority of Americans and continues to pander to extremists within in its base?
In 2012, we saw two political candidates who could not have been more starkly different on gay rights and some predicted it was the last time we’d see it. President Obama supported marriage equality, while Mitt Romney supported a constitutional ban on gay marriage. When Romney lost, and as polls showed majority support in the country for gay marriage, political analysts, pundits and even the Republican National Committee chair himself, Reince Preibus, predicted GOP candidates would need to change the tone on gay rights. After the Supreme Court’s gay marriage rulings last month, the predictions only continued, with some even saying that momentum in the Republican Party is moving toward changing with the times.
- VA’s Teabagger AG Cucinelli Still Trying To Outlaw Oral Sex (crooksandliars.com)
- Even Barbara Walters is mystified by the GOP candidate who wants to outlaw oral sex in Virginia (rawstory.com)
- Virginia GOP Nominee Doubles Down On Hate: Gay People Are ‘Soulless’ and ‘Self Destructive’ (addictinginfo.org)
- Virginia To Make Oral and Anal Sex Illegal, Again? (kysdc.com)
- How Would Ken Cuccinelli’s Oral-Sex Ban Affect Women of The View? (nymag.com)
- The Cooch (Ken Cucinelli) Partners with the (contraception) Aspirin Between The Leg Guy (Foster Friess) (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Ladies of ‘The View’ Vow to Defeat Virginia’s Cuccinelli if He Outlaws Oral Sex (crooksandliars.com)
- Virginia Is For Lovers??? (cornerpolitics.wordpress.com)
- The View Takes On Homophobic Virginia Gubernatorial Candidate Ken Cuccinelli: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Virginia Gubernatorial Candidate Ken Cuccinelli Continues (Losing) Fight To Outlaw Oral Sex (hiphopwired.com)