A San Antonio Councilwoman has recently come under fire for a myriad of anti-gay comments made in a secretly recorded meeting.
On May 21, Councilwoman Elisa Chan met with her staff to discuss a proposal to add protections for sexual orientation and gender identity to the city’s nondiscrimination ordinance. Unbeknownst to those in attendance, James Stevens, a former aide to the councilwoman, was recording the discussion on his iPhone.
In an interview with Express, Stevens revealed, “My decision to record in the first place was that, during the staff meetings, we weren’t really discussing the ordinance itself. We were really just talking about ways to appeal to the (voting) base and to get them fired up as opposed to analyzing the ordinance.”
Stevens explained, “We spent 80 percent of that meeting talking about how disgusting homosexuality is.”
Many on Twitter shared what they found to be the most shocking comments made by the Councilwoman. You can find the entire recording here.
- LGBT community, city leaders react to Councilwoman Chan’s alleged rant (kens5.com)
- Disgusting Homophobic Remarks from San Antonio Councilwoman Elisa Chan Caught in Secret Recording (burntorangereport.com)
- San Antonio City Councilwoman Elisa Chan Describes LGBT Community as “Disgusting” (texasobserver.org)
- Elisa Chan’s intolerant views toward gays heard on secret recording (mysanantonio.com)
- Chan reveals homophobic views in secret recording (mysanantonio.com)
- Mayor Castro blasts Councilwoman Chan over alleged anti-gay rant (kens5.com)
- Texas Politician Calls Gays ‘Disgusting’ In Alleged Secret Recording (huffingtonpost.com)
- San Antonio mayor blasts councilwoman over alleged anti-gay rant (khou.com)
- Listen To A Bunch Of Idiots On San Antonio Councilwoman’s Staff Try To Figure Out: What Makes A Gay? (wonkette.com)