By Sarah Muller
In one of the more poignant moments of the evening, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ gay rights anthem “Same Love” won the award for “Best Video with a Social Message” at Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards in Brooklyn.
“To watch this song in the last year spread across the world is a testament to what is happening right now in America on the forefront of equality,” said Macklemore while accepting his Moonman statue. “Gay rights are human rights, there is no separation.”
“The only way things change is when you stand up for what you believe in,” Collins told the crowd at the Barclays Center. He appeared on stage with rapper A$AP Rocky to give his introduction.
The hit single by the Seattle rappers overtly embraces marriage equality at a time when recent polling suggests the nation appears to be shifting its mood in favor of same-sex marriage.
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Perform “Same Love,” Forget to Thank Mary Lambert at VMAs (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Macklemore Says Gay Rights Are Human Rights In Accepting VMA Award (ontopmag.com)
- Miley, Justin steal spotlight at MTV Video Music Awards (globalnews.ca)
- Jason Collins To Introduce Macklemore & Ryan Lewis At The MTV VMAs (queerty.com)
- MTV Video Music Awards rock out in Brooklyn (cbsnews.com)
- MTV VMAs 2013: Drake, Bruno Mars and Macklemore Performing Onstage (aceshowbiz.com)
- Macklemore VMA Performance: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Play ‘Same Love’ At Barclays (huffingtonpost.com)
- Miley Cyrus, Justin Timberlake own the MTV VMAS (news.yahoo.com)
- Macklemore & Jennifer Hudson: VMAs 2013 Performance of ‘Same Love’ – WATCH NOW! (justjared.com)