By Sarah Muller
Crist filed paperwork on Friday, and plans to make the official announcement Monday in St. Petersburg, Florida.
The Republican-turned-Democrat is considered a front-runner for the Democratic ticket. He would likely be up against current Gov. Rick Scott, a Republican. Scott represents a far more conservative version of the GOP than Crist ever did.
Crist is clearly hoping to benefit from widespread anger about the government shutdown, the majority of which has focused on Republicans. Earlier in the week, Crist appeared in a newly posted YouTube video directed at Florida voters, urging them to “end this nonsense and get us back to common sense” ways of governing.
“I’m an optimist but let’s face it, the last few years have been tough: government on the fringes, donors in politics above you the people,” said Crist in the video. “You’ve seen the attacks against full-time working people and their health care; against women and their doctors; against teachers, public schools and college affordability; And even against the simple act of casting your vote. It’s not working.”
- Charlie Crist files to run for Fla. Gov (abcactionnews.com)
- Republican-turned-Democrat Crist files to run for Florida governor (reuters.com)
- Huh: Did Florida’s Charlie Crist Switch to Constitution-TEA Party? (grumpyelder.com)
- Ex-GOP Florida Gov. Charlie Crist will run again as Democrat (rawstory.com)
- Former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist to seek his old job (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Charlie Crist Looks Ready to Run for Governor on Monday (sunshinestatenews.com)