THE HUFFINGTON POST
Author of ‘Obama’s America: A Transformative Vision of Our National Identity’
WHY WE PROPOSE TO DO THIS:
This bold plan will restore equality of opportunity in our country. It enshrines the central value of the American Dream, that every American child should have an equal chance at achieving the good life: a job that allows him or her to support a family, and eventually enjoy a safe, secure retirement.
Our plan is fiscally responsible. First of all, increasing the minimum wage will directly save our government money by leaving fewer working people in need of government support. Today, millions of people who work full-time still need Medicaid, food stamps, and other aid because the minimum wage is too low to bring them out of poverty. McDonald’s is even telling its employees to seek out government assistance.
- A Democratic contract with America: How to retake the House and combat economic inequality (dailykos.com)
- Minimum Wage, a Pain for the Poor (ryankantor.com)
- Poll: Majority of Americans back minimum wage hike (stltoday.com)
- Majority of Americans want a higher minimum wage (macombdaily.com)
- Morning Plum: Democrats should prioritize combatting inequality. It’s popular. (washingtonpost.com)
- Open thread: Bread and blood and weddings, oh my (dailykos.com)
- Political Strategy Notes (thedemocraticstrategist.org)
- Harry Reid: ‘No Greater Challenge…Than Income Inequality’ (cnsnews.com)
- FOCUS | Raise the Minimum Wage (readersupportednews.org)
- Americans want the government to fight inequality and raise the minimum wage (ivoter.net)