Today is World Water Day, an annual event focusing on the importance of fresh water and advocating for the sustainable management of freshwater resources. This is the complete opposite of the toxic spills, groundwater contamination, air pollution and other issues associated with fracking. So why is Secretary of State Hillary Clinton promoting fracking around the world?
Tell Secretary Clinton that, like Americans, people around the world need a clean, green, portfolio of renewable energy options, not one that contaminates water supplies and causes a mess of health problems.
Fracking, short for hydraulic fracturing, is a modern form of drilling for gas in tight shale rock. Water, sand and toxic chemicals are injected into the earth at high pressure to crack the shale rock to release methane gas. Each fracking well requires millions of gallons of fresh water, mixed with sand and toxic chemicals. Once used, this frack fluid becomes wastewater with no safe way of disposing it. Our freshwater resources are depleted or contaminated with toxic chemicals.
Bulgaria and France have already banned fracking, and other countries are considering doing the same thing, so why are we promoting fracking around the world? Take action to ask Secretary Clinton to stop promoting fracking to other countries.
Fracked shale gas has been linked to numerous public health and environmental problems, and now a global movement is underfoot to ban shale gas altogether. Yet Secretary Hillary Clinton is advocating for other countries around the world to pursue fracking. Tell her she should be protecting our allies, not doing the bidding of the oil and gas industry.
Speak up on World Water Day:
Thanks for taking action,
P.S. For more information, check out our newest report Fracking: The New Global Water Crisis
The causes of singer Whitney Houston’s death were drowning and the “effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use,” the Los Angeles County coroner’s office says.
She was found dead last month in the bathtub of her hotel room in Beverly Hills, California.
|Save the Date: March 28 is Healthy Air Call-In Day!
On Wednesday, March 28, volunteers from across the country will be coming to Washington to fight for air on our 2012 Capitol Hill National Advocacy Day. Please add your voice to our advocacy day and join with thousands of supporters across the U.S. by calling your U.S. Senators and asking them to stand up for the Clean Air Act and for public health.
The Clean Air Act is once again coming under attack. The Senate may vote soon on a resolution that would permanently block the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) lifesaving Mercury and Air Toxics Standards. Introduced by Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma, the resolution (S.J. Res. 37) would prevent the long-overdue cleanup of life-threatening toxic air pollution from power plants. This bill would endanger our children, our communities, and human healthby exposing the public to unsafe levels of toxic air pollution.On Wednesday morning, we will send you information on how to call your Senators and talking points so that you can ask your elected officials to save lives, support the Clean Air Act, and oppose any rollbacks of critical public health safeguards.In order to maximize the impact of these calls to the U.S. Senate, please wait to make your calls until Wednesday, March 28, when you receive the talking points in your email. Also, please ask your family and friends to participate in the Healthy Air Call-In Day as well.Thank you for joining together with us on this important day to fight for clean air!P.S. Want to do more? Use hashtag #HealthyAir on Twitter and ask your followers to participate on the 28 too. Also, post on your Facebook status: “On Wednesday, March 28, call your U.S. Senators and tell them to support clean air!”
- Jessica Capshaw Calls on Moms to Protect Air Pollution Ruling (treehugger.com)
- Ronnie Citron-Fink: 5 Scientists (and Dr. Oz) Make Clean Air Sense (huffingtonpost.com)
- Congressional Malpractice (jonathanturley.org)
- Why Senator Collins’ Boiler Amendment Guts the Clean Air Act and Does Not Just Delay It (switchboard.nrdc.org)
- Lung Association: Air is cleaner but as dangerous than ever (junkscience.com)
- Tell Congress: Don’t cut off our clean air …Union of Concerned Scientists (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- GOP to keep EPA in hot seat on Clean Air Act (junkscience.com)
- Protect Children from Mercury Pollution from Industrial Boilers by Clean Air Council (socialactions.net)
- Colorado clean-air plan gets early OK from EPA (summitcountyvoice.com)
- Senate Rejects Stowaway Amendment That Would Cause Thousands of Deaths (climateofourfuture.wordpress.com)
By NBC’s Andrew Rafferty
SAN ANTONIO, TX — Rick Santorum today suggested it would be better to stick with President Obama over a candidate that might be “the Etch A Sketch candidate of the future” — a shot at chief rival Mitt Romney.
“You win by giving people the opportunity to see a different vision for our country, not someone who’s just going to be a little different than the person in there,” said Santorum. “If you’re going to be a little different, we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk with what may be the etch a sketch candidate of the future.”
For the second day in a row, the former Pennsylvania senator brought an Etch A Sketch on the trail as a prop to remind voters of Romney adviser Eric Fehrnstrom’s response to a question about whether Santorum is pushing Romney too far right to win over moderate voters in a general election. “Well, I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign. Everything changes,” Fehrnstrom said Wednesday on CNN. “It’s almost like an Etch A Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and restart all over again.” MORE
- Rick Santorum: Obama Preferable To “Etch A Sketch” Romney (inquisitr.com)
- Politics puts Etch A Sketch back in the picture (newsok.com)
- Etch A Sketch stock price jumps (politico.com)
- BREAKING: Mitt Romney confirms he is Mr. Etch-A-Sketch (dailykos.com)
- Santorum: Might As Well Stay With Obama Instead Of Risking ‘Etch A Sketch Candidate’ (mediaite.com)
- Hopefuls in Etch a Sketch attack against Romney- Political spouses share spotlight and scrutiny- 2012 Candidate Tracker (politics.blogs.foxnews.com)
- In Defense of the Etch A Sketch (and Mitt Romney Too) (usnews.com)
- Etch A Sketch Comment Paints Mitt Romney As A Flip Flopper (inquisitr.com)
- Politics puts Etch A Sketch back in the picture (seattlepi.com)
Your Mother, Your Angel
And at times you’ll smile even though it hurts so bad.
Your mother is a special woman and no one can take her place,
You’ll find a piece of mind when you remember he smiling face.
Your mother is an angel now she flies high above the rest,
and in your hearts always and forever she will be the best.
She has earned her wings and it’s time for her to fly,
I know it hurts no one is ever ready to say good-bye.
She knows you do not understand and that you cry at night,
But as you finally drift of to sleep let her memory hold you tight.
She will be your guardian angel through the rest of your life,
Helping lead you on the path between what’ wrong and right.
your mother loves you so very much and her love will always remain true,
Please don’t ever think for a second that your mother will forget you.
A mothers love is like no other in the whole world,
d she has the most wonderful memories of a little boy and girl.
She has taken them with her as she’s flown away,
Up to Heaven free of pain which is her new home to stay.
So although you can not see her and you wish she could be there,
Your mother can always hear you and your mother will always care.
A mother does not forget the two greatest loves of her life,
And she loved nothing more than being your mommy, and your daddy’s wife.
She is so proud of her family and that’s in her heart to stay,
Even though she’s and angel and has had to fly away.
So as you cry your tears remember your mothers love,
Being sent to you from her, from the beautiful Heaven above.
She will be there through your good times, she will be there through your bad,
She’ll be there when you are happy, she’ll be there when your sad.
Your mother has become and angel now, it is her time to fly,
And you will never know how bad it hurt me to watch you have to say good-bye.
- Mother of the Reverend Al Sharpton dies at age 87 (thegrio.com)
- Al Sharpton Will Attend Trayvon Martin Rally Despite Mom’s Death (theroot.com)
- “My mother, Ada Sharpton passed in the early hours of this morning. She was my all. I hope God will…” (shortformblog.com)
- Al Sharpton Leads Thousands In Trayvon Martin Rally (inquisitr.com)
- Rev. Al Sharpton mother dead at 87 (myfoxny.com)
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Mom Passes Away In Alabama. (mediaanarchist.wordpress.com)
- Mother of Rev. Al Sharpton dies (nj.com)
At a time when the media is saturated with the coverage of the tragic murder of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida, take a moment to view this snapshot of the campaign for President. It is curious that former Governor Jeb Bush who signed the bill that Trayvon’s killer is using as an excuse, is silent. He did find the time to speak out endorsing Mitt Romney for President. As usual, the NRA, which was present as Bush signed the law, is silent on its culpability in murders with a gun in the nation. The National Rifle Assn. is confident that their lobby has the Congress in check and they will always get their way!
Last night a crowd of about 30,000 people gathered to protest the lack of an arrest of George Zimmerman in the case of the killing of teenager, Trayvon Martin. A huge protest was mounted to protest. At the last-minute the wheels of the law in Florida finally turned… a little. The police chief who had not arrested the child’s shooter when most
people saw probable cause for premeditated murder, stepped down from his office (temporarily) and Governor Rick Scott appointed a special prosecutor after the US Justice Dept. had entered the case scheduling a grand jury for April 10. So, once again we see the effectiveness of mass protest and grassroot protest. The Tea Party may still be in our Congress, but, if we take part in mass demonstrations against our do-nothing Congress who oppose President Obama, not for cause, but to wage a war against him for the power of The Whitehouse, we can win! Whenever there is a chance to lend our bodies to protests in our cities and nearby towns, go, participate eagerly. Although we can’t measure the direct effectiveness letters and emails are to Congress, thousands of written protests can not be ignored. Once again, write to you representatives and tell them what you think. I have three men who represent me in Congress They are prominent Republicans. Although they do not agree to vote the way I ask, two of them do acknowledge receipt of my correspondence and follow-up with a written response. This lone Democrat gets a 66% response from these die-hard Republicans. I implore you to do the same: WRITE! In the absence of our voice, our representatives will only have their personal opinions (and those of lobbyists) to guide their vote on issues which affect all of us. Blocking a dam begins with one sandbag. Be the one who adds many sandbags to stem the tide of adverse politics..
Three white Mississippi men pleaded guilty to federal hate crimes in connection with the 2011 beating death of an African-American man in Jackson, the Justice Department announced.
Deryl Dedmon, John Aaron Rice and Dylan Butler each admitted to conspiracy and violating a federal hate-crimes law in last June’s killing of James Craig Anderson. They face sentences of up to life in prison and $250,000 in fines, prosecutors said.
The 19-year-old Dedmon had already pleaded guilty to state murder and hate-crime charges Wednesday in a state court and was sentenced to life in prison.
The men are among the first defendants to be prosecuted under the federal hate-crime statute that President Barack Obama signed in 2009 and the first to be prosecuted in a fatal attack, Assistant Attorney General Thomas Perez said.
- Tallahassee students demand justice for Trayvon Martin (redantliberationarmy.wordpress.com)
- Million Hoodie March Trayvon Martin Protest in New York City (binsidetv.net)
- Tuesday Reads: Romney Gets Women’s Health Questions in IL, Santorum Talks Brokered Convention, Manning and Tebow, and the Trayvon Martin Murder (skydancingblog.com)
- Trayvon Martin Case: Police Chief Steps Down as Protests Grow Louder (newsfeed.time.com)
- Trayvon Martin and the presidential election (brobrubel.wordpress.com)
- Sharpton Leads Trayvon Rally (newser.com)
- Trayvon Martin Case Subject of Impassioned Speech on House Floor (inquisitr.com)
- Trayvon Martin Killing Fallout: Florida Governor Appoints New Prosecutor and Two Sanford Officials Facing Recall (UPDATED) (themoderatevoice.com)
- Trayvon Martin Protesters Arrive In Busloads To Sanford Florida (theroycroftreport.com)
News from The Hill:
The Senate on Thursday passed legislation barring lawmakers from using insider information for personal profit, sending the bill to the White House.
The Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act already approved by the House passed the upper chamber easily by a vote of 96 to 3.
|Our son didn’t deserve to die. Trayvon Martin was just 17 years old when he was shot and killed by George Zimmerman. Trayvon wasn’t doing anything besides walking home with a bag of Skittles and some iced teain his hands.What makes Trayvon’s death so much harder is knowing that the man who confessed to killing him, George Zimmerman, still hasn’t been charged for Trayvon’s killing.That’s why we started a petition on Change.org calling for Zimmerman’s prosecution and trial. We aren’t looking for revenge, we’re looking for justice — the same justice anyone would expect if their son were shot and killed for no reason.
No family should ever have to go through this nightmare. The law should protect everyone, regardless of where they live, how much money they make, or what color their skin is.
With our petition at 900,000 signers so far, we’ve made important progress toward making some sense out of what happened. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement will investigate Trayvon’s death, and so will the FBI and Department of Justice.
But Trayvon’s killer is still free. The surest path to justice runs through Sanford, Florida, and through the office of State’s Attorney Norman Wolfinger, who is responsible for bringing charges against Zimmerman. With your help, we believe he’ll have no choice but to give Trayvon and his killer their days in court.
Thank you so much.
– Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton
POLITICO Breaking News
President Barack Obama will issue a memo in Cushing, Okla., tomorrow telling federal agencies to expedite the section of the Keystone XL pipeline between Oklahoma and the Gulf Coast, the White House announced today.
For more information… http://www.politico.com
- Do you support the Keystone XL pipeline? (cbc.ca)
- Obama to fast track southern portion of Keystone XL Pipeline (whitehouse.blogs.cnn.com)
- Obama to fast track southern half of Keystone XL Pipeline (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Obama Administration To Fast-Track Permit Process For Southern Part Of Keystone XL Pipeline (alan.com)