“New York City Marathon returns — with revamped security”


CNN

By Faith Karimi, CNN

(CNN) — After a one-year hiatus, the New York City Marathon returns Sunday with a different priority: security.

Discussions about running times and numbers were put in the back burner. Officials shifted focus to numbers of a different kind: security cameras, bomb-sniffing dogs, baggage screenings and surveillance helicopters.

The 47,000 runners will race through five boroughs for the first time since the Boston Marathon bombing, which left three people dead and more than 260 injured in April.

Major cities revamped security in the aftermath, and the New York City Marathon followed suit.

At least 1,500 cameras positioned along the route will help boost security, New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

Bomb-sniffing dogs and scuba divers will scan bridges and shorelines while counterterrorism officers will escort ferries carrying runners.

“Prior to taking their starting positions on Staten Island, runners will be screened and their bags inspected,” the New York Police Department said in a statement. “The New York Road Runners has provided the participants with clear bags to expedite this process.”

Two brothers — one now dead and the other facing charges — are suspected of planting two bombs near the Boston Marathon finish line. At least one of the bombs was hidden inside a backpack.

In New York, spectators watching from grandstands and family reunion areas will be subject to baggage inspections and screenings as a precaution.

“The safety of runners and spectators has always been our highest priority,” New York Road Runners, the organizers of the event, said in a statement.

Runners are taking it in stride.

“It will obviously cause some problems for us, but that doesn’t matter,” said Runar Gundersen, who will be running his 35th New York marathon this year. “Security must come first, so I gladly accept delays … I think most runners do.”

Organizers said a lot of additional security measures will be taking place in the background.

“I know that it’s impossible to protect 26.2 miles of road 100%,” Gundersen said. “The feeling about that is much like it was in 2001 after 9/11.”

Last year’s New York City Marathon was canceled because of damage from Superstorm Sandy.

CNN’s Allison Malloy contributed to this report

[FULL QUOTE]

Continue reading ““New York City Marathon returns — with revamped security””

Advertisements

WOULD YOU GIVE UP SOME LIBERTIES TO FIGHT TERRORISM?


A new CNN/Time/ORC International Poll indicates four in 10 Americans say they are willing to give up some civil liberties to fight terrorism, and suggests worries about terrorism have edged up after the Boston Marathon bombings.

The national survey shows that concerns about terrorism are up slightly, with 40% saying they worry that someone in their family will become a victim of terrorism, up 6 percentage points from a 2011 CNN poll conducted on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks.

The survey also indicates that support for government monitoring of the Internet is down 8 points from right after 9/11, although there is still majority support: 55%. However, there is widespread and growing approval of the use of surveillance cameras in public places, with 81% saying they are in favor of it, nearly a 20 point jump from 2001.

The poll, conducted April 30, 2013, has a sampling error of +/-4 percentage points.

Follow complete coverage of breaking news on CNN TVhttp://cnn.com and CNN Mobile.

Continue reading “WOULD YOU GIVE UP SOME LIBERTIES TO FIGHT TERRORISM?”

“3 pals of Boston Marathon bombing suspect charged with coverup”


By Pete Williams, Richard Esposito, Michael Isikoff and Tracy Connor, NBC News

VKontakt Azamat Tazhayakov (left), Dias Kadyrbayev, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (right) in a photo taken in Times Square. The picture, which appeared on Tsarnaev's page on VKontakt, the Russian equivalent of Facebook, is believed to be from November 2012.
VKontakt
Azamat Tazhayakov (left), Dias Kadyrbayev, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (right) in a photo taken in Times Square. The picture, which appeared on Tsarnaev’s page on VKontakt, the Russian equivalent of Facebook, is believed to be from November 2012.

`

Three college friends of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev were accused Wednesday of removing evidence from his dorm room as new details about the case emerged in court papers.

Criminal complaints against the trio revealed that Tsarnaev cut his long hair after the April 15 attack but before the FBI released his photo and that he allegedly told friends a month earlier that he knew “how to make a bomb.”

The court papers also suggest that the 19-year-old suspect was practically blasé when one of the friends texted to say he looked like the man in the FBI photos of the bomb suspect.

Among his replies: ‘lol,” according to the complaints.

FULL ARTICLE

Continue reading ““3 pals of Boston Marathon bombing suspect charged with coverup””

“Boston suspects’ carjacking victim describes terrifying night”


CBS NEWS

(CBS News) You are about to hear, for the first time, from a man who got caught up in the terror in Boston two weeks ago and helped bring it to an end.

An immigrant from China, he was carjacked by the suspects, but escaped and tipped off the police.

This 26-year-old Chinese entrepreneur, who calls himself “Danny,” had just pulled over in his new Mercedes on a Boston street to send a text message when a man jumped in.

In his first television interview, he tells his story. At his request, CBS News is concealing his identity and has altered his voice.

“I thought it was just a robbery, you know?” Danny said. “He took out his gun, pointed to me. He told me that ‘You now I am serious. Don’t be stupid.'”

FULL  ARTICLE

CBS Logo Light
CBS Logo Light (Photo credit: watchwithkristin)

Continue reading ““Boston suspects’ carjacking victim describes terrifying night””

THIS JUST IN…


CNN

The dead Boston Marathon bombing suspect has been identified as Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, and the one still being sought is his younger brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, several sources said Friday.

The older Tsarnaev died overnight in an exchange of gunfire with police.

Much of Boston is on lockdown as authorities search door to door for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Follow coverage of breaking news on CNN TV, CNN.com and CNN’s mobile apps.

Continue reading “THIS JUST IN…”

Breaking NEWS: WATERTOWN, MA (BOSTON)


Friday, April 19, 2013 6:23:05 AM

National News Alert

AP: Massive police operation underway in Boston

Police say one of two suspects in the shooting of an MIT police officer is dead and a massive manhunt is underway for another, who is tied to the Boston Marathon bombing.

Shortly after the MIT officer was shot Thursday night, police got a report of a carjacking in Cambridge, just outside Boston.

Police say of the at-large suspect, “We believe this to be a terrorist.”

Read more at:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/police-converge-on-neighborhood-outside-boston-amid-reports-of-explosions/2013/04/19/8813d938-a8b6-11e2-9e1c-bb0fb0c2edd9_story.html

Pressure cooker bombs suspected in Boston blast By JAY LINDSAY and EILEEN SULLIVAN Associated Press The Associated Press


COOKER BOMB

BOSTON (AP) — Federal agents zeroed in Tuesday on how the Boston Marathon bombing was carried out — with kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and other lethal shrapnel — but said they still didn’t know who did it and why.

An intelligence bulletin issued to law enforcement and released late Tuesday included a picture of a mangled pressure cooker and a torn black bag the FBI said were part of a bomb.

The FBI and other law enforcement agencies repeatedly pleaded for members of the public to come forward with photos, videos or anything suspicious they might have seen or heard.

“The range of suspects and motives remains wide open,” Richard DesLauriers, FBI agent in charge in Boston, said at a news conference. He vowed to “go to the ends of the Earth to identify the subject or subjects who are responsible for this despicable crime.”

President Barack Obama branded the attack an act of terrorism but said officials don’t know “whether it was planned and executed by a terrorist organization, foreign or domestic, or was the act of a malevolent individual.”

Scores of victims remained in hospitals, many with grievous injuries, a day after the twin explosions near the marathon’s finish line killed three people, wounded more than 170 and reawakened fears of terrorism. A 9-year-old girl and 10-year-old boy were among 17 victims listed in critical condition.

FULL  ARTICLE

Continue reading “Pressure cooker bombs suspected in Boston blast By JAY LINDSAY and EILEEN SULLIVAN Associated Press The Associated Press”

CANDLELIGHT VIGIL FOR BOSTON ATTACK VICTIMS


Martin Richard was standing with his family near the Boston Marathon finish line to cheer on family friends when an explosion took his life. He was 8 years old and in the third grade.

Hundreds attended a candlelight vigil held Tuesday evening at Garvey Park in Dorchester to remember the young boy. MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell returned to his hometown to attend the vigil and see how the suburban community is coping.

(Photo of the Garvey Park vigil in Dorchester, Mass. taken by MSNBC's Evan Puschak)

(Photo of the Garvey Park vigil in Dorchester, Mass. taken by MSNBC’s Evan Puschak)

“I can’t believe it happened,” said a classmate of Martin’s. “It’s really sad.”

Her mother told O’Donnell how the parents in the community were feeling. “We were up to almost midnight last night talking to other parents just because it is just such a close neighborhood, you know. And they’re such a wonderful family. I mean, so… it’s terrible.”

Krystal Campbell, a 29-year-old fitness coach and restaurant manager, was identified as the second victim on Tuesday.

FULL  ARTICLE

Continue reading “CANDLELIGHT VIGIL FOR BOSTON ATTACK VICTIMS”

“THE FACE OF THE BOSTON MARATHON ATTACK”


REMEMBERING MARTIN RICHARD, 8, THE FACE OF BOSTON MARATHON ATTACK

This undated photo provided by Bill Richard shows his son, Martin Richard, in Boston. Martin Richard, 8, was among the at least three people killed in the explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon Monday, April 15, 2013. (Photo by Bill Richard/AP Photo)

110:49 PM on 04/16/2013

A candlelight vigil in Dorchester paid tribute to what a community member described as “his too-brief, but immeasurably valuable life.”  FULL  ARTICLE

Continue reading ““THE FACE OF THE BOSTON MARATHON ATTACK””

“Obama on North Korea: We must deal with ‘every contingency’


By Eun Kyung Kim
TODAY

Video: TODAY’s Savannah Guthrie sits down with President Obama to talk about some of the major stories making headlines recently, including whether Congress will pass new gun legislation, our tense relations with North Korea, and compromising with Republicans over the budget.

North Korea probably lacks the ability to deliver nuclear warheads on ballistic missiles but the United States must be prepared for “every contingency out there,” President Obama said in an exclusive TODAY interview recorded just before the Boston Marathon explosions.

“Based on our current intelligence assessments we do not think that they have that capacity,” Obama told Savannah Guthrie. However, North Korea’s history of consistently erratic behavior has forced the Pentagon to take all necessary precautions.

“We have to make sure that we are dealing with every contingency out there. And that’s why I’ve repositioned missile defense systems to guard against any miscalculation on their part,” he said in a wide-ranging interview. The first part of the discussion aired Tuesday.

FULL ARTICLE

Continue reading ““Obama on North Korea: We must deal with ‘every contingency’”