WASHINGTON – Retirees covered by financially troubled multiemployer pensions could soon see their benefits cut under a $1.1 trillion congressional spending deal to keep the government running.
Architects of the proposal said it was the best way to keep the pension plans viable and benefits flowing to retirees.
“We have a plan here that first and foremost works for the members of the unions, the workers in these companies and it works for the companies,” said Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., who worked the deal out with Rep. John Kline, R-Minn.
But it quickly drew fire from some labor unions and AARP, who denounced what they call backroom deal-making that will create hardships for older Americans.
Good Mitch McConnell
Bad Mitch McConnell
Rick Santorum continues to be arrogant in his stance that his family is the model for the nation. Today on “Face the Nation” he used his experience with his special needs child is true for all parents. He gives no attributions like studies, polls, etc. It just whatever he has been conditioned to believe that Rick Santorum regards as truth…for all to accept. DON’T GIVE RICK SANTORUM THE POWER TO NOMINATE SUPREME COURT JUSTICES who will take away your rights and liberties!
- SHOCKING STATEMENT FROM RICK SANTORUM….Watch Your News for More! (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Is This Why Rick Santorum Lost in Nh and Florida? (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Rick Santorum’s sugar daddy’s views on birth control aren’t ‘crap’ (dailykos.com)
- The Tape: Rick Santorum Said Birth Control Is “Not Okay” (alan.com)
- Rick Santorum’s Past Is Catching Up to Him (slog.thestranger.com)
- Ridiculous but True: Rick Santorum Thinks Abortion Providers Deserve Jail Time [Video] (jezebel.com)
- Rick Santorum Launches Ad Featuring Something That Looks Like the Other Santorum [Video] (jezebel.com)
- Santorum Attacks Obama Because His Agenda “Is Not A Theology Based On The Bible” (alan.com)