(Reuters) – In the end, nothing could persuade enough U.S. senators to approve the most significant gun legislation in two decades:
And not the support of President Barack Obama, who was inspired by Newtown to make gun control the first major initiative of his second term.
The U.S. Senate‘s key vote on Wednesday wasn’t exactly a rejection of expanded background checks, gun-control advocates were careful to point out.
Most senators – 54 – approved the measure, which polls indicated was backed by more than 80 percent of Americans. But because Republicans threatened to use a filibuster to block any gun proposal that did not get 60 votes in the 100-member Senate, the plan to expand background checks to sales made online and at gun shows fell short.
And just like that, the most aggressive push for gun control in a generation did, too.
Boehner: Voters Won’t Love Romney
But he think that’s OK.
In an unusually candid speech in West Virginia, the Ohio Republican said that “the American people probably aren’t going to fall in love with Mitt Romney.”
But he added that most will show up to vote anyway because they oppose President Obama.
HEY, MITT ROMNEY!
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THIS GUY’S HAIR?
WHAT RU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?
“RUN, FORREST! RUN!”
- Juddmentum for Obama challenger, federal inmate Keith Judd? Aw yeah! (twitchy.com)
- Against Obama, inmate Keith Judd gets 40 percent of vote in West Virginia primary (bangordailynews.com)
- Texas INMATE gets 40 per cent of votes against President Obama in West Virginia primary (theobamahustle.wordpress.com)
In a decision that could set a national precedent for how local governments can regulate gas drilling, a New York state court yesterday ruled for the first time that towns have the right to ban such drilling, despite a state regulation asserting they cannot. READ MORE
- NY Court Affirms Towns’ Powers to Ban Fracking (habwwe.wordpress.com)
- Gas-Fracking Ban in Upstate New York Upheld by State Court Judge (junkscience.com)
- New York Court Affirms Towns’ Powers to Ban Fracking (propublica.org)
- NY Court Decision Bolsters Anti-Fracking Movement (musicians4freedom.com)
- Dryden Becomes New York’s Test Town on Fracking (green.blogs.nytimes.com)
- The Latest Fracking News from New York State (sierraclub.typepad.com)